16; Bleachers, Hangovers and Pianos

Violet

I trudge down the halls, my feet slapping against the floor harshly. I can't believe I actually thought Zayn was a good guy; that we could actually be friends. How could I have been so stupid? There had been a moment there, last night, where I really saw something different in him, but of course that was all ruined as he just couldn't restrain from being himself. It was almost as if he was being someone different during our darts game, someone better, but maybe it was just my imagination. My judgements on him were confirmed when he ruined the night by hooking up with Brittany. Zayn Malik is a lowlife, drop-out, pig. And nothing more.

I turn the corner and start heading up the stairs, on my way to Liam's dorm. I need to talk to him. I didn't get a chance last night, what, with everything going on. Who knows how long he spent with Brittany after they both left the party, and where he went after that. Plus, I really wasn't in the state to be comforting my best friend when I myself needed comforting. That's another thing, what the hell was wrong with me last night? Something inside of me just ... broke. And what's worse is that I let Zayn see it happen. I bet he'll never let me forget it. I'll be lucky if the whole school doesn't find out.

I reach Liam's door and knock on it, waiting patiently. Usually, I just stroll right in, but I figure Liam would want to be prepared before seeing people. As I predicted, about a minute passes before the door opens. But I'm not looking at Liam, instead I'm looking at his roommate, Jake.

"Oh, hi," I say, a little awkwardly. I'm not very close with Jake. He hangs out with entirely different people. From what Liam's told me, I think Jake's one of those music junkie kids that plays electric guitar and slacks off from everything else. I give him a full overview, eyeing his black skinny jeans and grey Nirvana shirt. My teeth clench as the shirt only brings back memories of Zayn and I in the library and that song that I absolutely hate now.

"'Sup," Jake replies, barely even looking at me through his black fringe. "Violet, right?"

"Yeah, that's right. And you're Jake."

He nods.

"Um, is Liam here?" I peer behind him into the room.

"Nah, he went out, like, ten minutes ago. Didn't tell me where."

"Oh." My heart drops. Where could he have gone?

"Wanna come in and wait?" Jake asks me, holding the door out more.

"Um, no. That's okay. I'll try and find him." I offer a small smile.

Jake nods again. "Alright." He catches me looking at his shirt. "You like them?"

I look back up. "Sorry?"

"Nirvana," he replies. "You a fan?"

I feel my cheeks turn red as the lyrics of the song come back into my head. "Not really," I choke out. "I'll see you later. Bye." I just catch him wave before I walk back down the hallway.