Chapter 17

Fact of the day: My lucky number is 17:)

Brendan's POV (well, well, what do we have here?)

The harsh pounding of my boots echoed the empty streets as I made my way to Grandma's house. She lived in the center of town, right above her store. I personally didn't buy any clothes from there, pardon her request. She didn't want to make money from family.

Knowing the front door would be locked, I took my spare key and walked in through the back. Taking the stairs two at a time, I knocked on the door, making sure I wouldn't give her a heart attack from barging through. Receiving no answer, I twisted the knob as I stepped into the apartment. The lights were off, and the t.v. was playing static in the background. The thing that surprised me however, was the soft illuminating light coming from her bedroom. Checking my watch, the hour hand struck one, making me wonder what my grandma was doing up this late.

Pushing the door open, I saw her silhouette from the moonlight. She was sitting on her bench overlooking the forest from her window. Tapping her shoulder, she spun around, her eyes guarded and her fist ready to hit. I'm glad I made her took those self defense classes. Upon seeing it was me, she let go a sigh of release and held a hand to her heart.

"Brendan, I'm getting old, no more surprising me in the middle of the night." Grinning sheepishly, I took her hand as she lead me to the kitchen. My eyes widened slightly as I realized the state it was in. There were scratches on the cabinets, and leftover food sitting out on the counter. This was not usual for my OCD grandmother.

"Would you like a cup of hot chocolate?" I shook my head, knowing I was only here for strict business, no matter how good that sounded.

"I'm afraid I can't stay long Gran, I just had a few questions for you so I wanted to stop by." She nodded in realization, folding out her hands on the table in front of her. Taking a seat, I ran my hands through my hair, preparing myself for the words about to come tumbling out of my mouth.

"I'm going to come right out with it, I don't want to sugar coat this for you." Did I really want to do this? I had to. If not for Janie, for me. I needed to know the truth.

"Did you try to kill Janie?" In a flash, her mouth turned into a deep scowl, and something crossed her eyes, but disappeared too quickly for me to decipher it. She pushed her chair back, the sound loud against the tiles.

"Why would you think I would try to kill my future daughter-in-law? What foolish lies is someone telling you to make you believe that I would hurt the girl I took under my wing?" Her face was furious, her sweet smile turning into a barred growl. Why would she be so upset about this? I get that I was accusing her of something, but if it didn't hold any truth, how could she be so determined to change my mind?

Scrunching my eyebrows in confusing, I watched as she made frantic hand movements, and her volume escalate with every word she spoke. I knew something was off with her. I wanted to switch the topic before I asked again, to give her some time to cool down.

"How are you feeling Grandma? It's not often you get sick; in fact, I don't think I've ever seen you with a sniffle." This stopped her in her tracks, and as she stilled, she reached over the counter to grab a tissue. Grandma sat back down, blowing her nose. Interesting.

"I've been fine, I just don't want to risk getting the kids sick. You know how easily the twins can catch something." She gulped and moved to fetch some water. I was done playing this foolish game.

"Grandma, I will ask you one more time. Did you try to hurt my mate?" My anger was barley contained by now, and I was sure my ears were starting to turn red. This woman I thought I knew so well, may be keeping more secrets than I would have ever thought. She was expertly avoiding my question, and she was desperately trying to not look into my eyes.

She whipped around, her face colored a deep shade of crimson. She swung her arm, and let the glass she was holding crash onto the wall. I stood up, moving away from the glass that had almost nailed me in the face. Squinting my eyes, I watched as she held no remorse for almost hurting me.

"Why in the devil's name would you trust your lying, scheming mate over your own blood? I raised you, and this is how you repay me, by accusing me of attempted murder? How dare you Brendan, you ungrateful little brat. I thought I had taught you better than this!" Her heavy breaths were the only sound in the room. Brat? I was no such thing.

"I've done so much to protect you, and you refuse to accept that maybe what happened wasn't an accident, and that it was to protect you! I can't let you fall into her traps. Her slimy hands are just waiting for you to trust her, and boy, does she have you wrapped around her pinky finger! Have you ever thought to look into her? This precious Janie that you are so content on protecting? Maybe she isn't the angel you see her as after all!"

She made her way closer the me, her finger pointing into my chest. "Open your eyes my love, you have been clouded by the illusion that is your mate. If you had dug just a little deeper maybe you would despise her as much as I do. She killed your father after all! How can you take her side over me?" I stumbled back, had I misheard her?

"What did you just say to me?" Grandma rolled her eyes, looking up to the ceiling before looking at me.

"I said, how could you pick her over me?" Shaking my head, I took a few more steps back. My mind was starting to turn my thoughts into incoherent pieces of words.

"No, Caroline, the part about my father. How dare you accuse Janie of that! I thought that I could give you a chance to explain yourself, but here you are, blaming your son's death on her. Not everything is about my Dad, not anymore! Janie is the best thing that has ever happened to me, and you are trying to crumble that to the ground."

Shaking her head, she tried to grab my hand, but I ripped it away. Hurt flashed in her blue eyes, but I couldn't believe her again. "It's true Brendan. Believe me, it's all true. I wouldn't, couldn't, lie to your face about this."

I turned to the door, but not before she called, "why don't you just ask her? I'm sure she would tell you."

I was back on the street, wanting nothing more than to hold Janie in my arms and never let her go.

***
Hey guys, how you doing?

Honest opinion time: do I need a new cover? Let me know.

Thank goodness spring is finally here in the US, I missed it so much! Sorry, for the late chapter, this writer's block has been killing me! Have an amazing day lovelies, you all mean the world to me!

Don't forget to check out The Beginning of Some Beginnings, it's moving right along!

THIS JUST HAPPENED TODAY, BUT THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 2K!

Have a fabulous day!

-neary17