Chapter 36

After the meeting ended, Sakura voluntarily walked Itachi to the gates. It was to ensure no trouble would come upon his presence in the village. It seems the Akatsuki will focus solely on capturing the Tailed Beasts that they wouldn't be taking any precautions or investigate the villages they'll be attacking. A mistake from Madara's arrogance.

This time round, Sakura was trailing behind the criminal, staring intently at his back with mixed feelings which included regret and guilt. She wanted so desperately to say something to him, but no words would leave her mouth, no words formed in her mind. It was blank, but also a mess. It was something she could not explain; the strong desire to speak but the emptiness wouldn't be filled in her mind.

She thought back to the meeting and questioned the true reason she and Shikamaru were summoned.

The participation of the two 'newbies' were not necessary in the meeting because no plans were to be plotted yet, she was sure. She pondered if they were asked to join just so the Hokage has two ninjas in his disposal to perform tasks which requires the knowledge of Itachi's long term mission. It was a possibility, but she could not be sure.

When the pair reached the gates, she further escorted him beyond the confines of the village until the Chunnins who guarded the gates were out of sight.

The raven haired criminal stopped in his steps and turned around, landing his gaze on a pair of emerald eyes. The heiress halted and stared at her company, opening her mouth to say a word but closed it in an instant as she shied her gaze away. For years and years she had grown to hate the man, by his betrayal, it would take time for her to accept him again. She needed to calm herself, to forget all the hate she held towards him. While her head was in a mess, one thing was clear: Sakura Haruno felt guilty.

The Uchiha saw this and he pat her head just like the old times when she would frown over her failure at a stunt or when he wouldn't allow her to follow him around. With a cool exterior, the young Haruno was quite clingy, only to the ex-heir of the Uchiha clan though.

She looked up at him with a light blush dusting her pearl cheeks; she missed this gesture, she missed him. Tears pricked her eyes and rolled down her cheeks. The older Uchiha stared in sympathy and suddenly regretted his choice. Even if he had to bear with the pain, he wouldn't want to see his little pinkette cry.

He had asked Minato for the presence of the two geniuses in the meeting.

Because he didn't want Sakura to continue misunderstanding him again.

Tagging Shikamaru along was only for her to express her troubles as he knew the Nara clan's heir is her best friend. Or he was.

"I'm sorry." She muttered softly.

He shook his head and released his hand from her head. "It was all for show, for Akatsuki to believe my betrayal to the Leaf Village."

She wiped away her tears and said, "I understood your passion as a shinobi of our village, I should have trusted you, I should have known, but I didn't. I hat-"

He shushed her.

"Things may not have worked well if you did believe in my loyalty. Return to the village, we will see each other soon."

Fresh tears rolled down her face again, hurt by his order to return to the village. It was as thought he didn't want to see her, but she had definitely mistaken. Even though it had been a very long time since they both caught up with each other, the older Uchiha knew her well enough. He raised two fingers and poked her forehead and gave a gentle smile.

"Until next time." He disappeared in a flock of crows.

She looked up into the sky and her eyes followed the crows. "Until next time.." She repeated softly with a small ghost of a smile; Sumire rubbed her cheek on the side of Sakura's neck.