Chapter Eighteen - [Charlotte.]

You're a little mind reader. Yeah, that's what you are. You play it off a little shy baby, but you're a heart stealer and right here in this car, it's like you know that smile was gonna melt me down. Like you know those lips are what I'm needing right now. And girl when you lay 'em on mine, yeah, it's like you're reading my mind...

The sun was rising.

In the early hours of the morning, early morning rays were stretching across the gap in the curtains of my room. I found myself unable to sleep after a decent hour, thoughts of Brantley in my mind.

Stretching, I turned my head to keep the glare of the sun out of my eyes. I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep anymore, and pulled the covers off of me and stepped out of bed. Dustin Lynch's voice was drifting through my radio, having gently pulled me from my sleep.

I pulled on some jeans and a t-shirt, wanting to go for an early morning ride. I ate a quick breakfast before tugging on my boots and heading out to the barn. After feeding both the horses and saddling up Apollo, I led the pair of them to the riding trails.

Grace was following easily behind us.

She was attached to him, and most of the time wouldn't let him out of her sight. She was growing quickly, reaching up to my chin now. She was beginning to trust me a great deal, for I had spent a lot of time working with her.

It was the middle of June, which meant that I had been here for about two months. I wasn't going to trade it for the world. Brantley had gone on one more date, but he had been caught up in work the last week or so. It was Thursday night, and we had planned a third one for tonight.

My thoughts drifted to my mom.

It had been about two weeks since she started in rehab.

She had called once, to tell me that she had gotten there. After that, she wouldn't be allowed any phone calls or social media for a month. Two more weeks after today. I wasn't sure if her and I were ever going to be close, but I had forgiven her.

When I returned the horses to the stables and brushed them down, I realized I was completely out of food after this mornings feeding. I cringed, knowing I would have to go to the very store in which Rose worked.

Maybe she wouldn't be here this morning.

I grabbed my wallet from the house and headed into town, making a mental checklist of the other things that I needed. I went into the supply store and saw Rose at the only cashier station open.

Pushing the cart past her, I ignored her completely.

Ordering food in bulk was done in the back of the store, and I ordered a month worth of it to have delivered that afternoon. I grabbed some other things that I needed and went to check out.

Rose scanned my things in complete silence, not looking at me as she did so.

"So you called my mom, huh?" I asked.

Her eyes flicked up to me, widened with surprise. Before she could open her mouth to say anything, I interjected.

"I don't know why you did that or what your motive was, but it really wasn't any of your business."

"It was...It was before the fight. I was just trying to help."

"Well, I guess it did. She's in rehab."

I didn't thank her. I was far too angry at her for choosing Mia over me. Right now, telling her that it helped was thanking her enough for me. Once she was done scanning my things, I swiped my card and was given my receipt.