Chapter 4 - The Cheerleaders' Table

Brie got lucky. By the time the nurse made it in, looked her over, and felt it was safe to release her, first period was over and part of second too. She and Jordyn had compared schedules before the bell rang and found they shared second through forth together. Jordyn had been so nice to her. Brie's stomach unknotted a little knowing there would be someone safe in her morning classes.

The halls were mercifully empty as she passed through them on her way to Econ. Piedmont High was a large three-story building, unlike Lowell's sprawling campus. There was one big plus about changing schools. PH had less than half the number of students as her old school. And though she hated leaving her friends in California, the fresh start was almost welcome.

She has discovered too many disturbing things about the people she thought she knew. Pictures flashed through her mind in rapid succession like a GIF: Janice, who sat next to her in Calculus, going home to rooms filled with garbage and a mother passed out on a couch in a drunken stupor, Aaron in Spanish class getting pantsed again in the boy's locker room by the captain of the basketball team, and her best friend Sue looking up at her uncle after he molested her years ago. Brie squeezed her eyes shut to block out the horrific images. She couldn't help her friends and it made her sick to her stomach to feel so helpless. They weren't strangers. These were kids she'd known for years, and that made it so much worse. It got to the point she hated going to school. Every day became another opportunity to discover awful things about her fellow students.

With a shake of her head, Brie tried to clear out the dark thoughts. Yeah, the move had been painful, but she hoped the people in Whitefish hadn't faced the same horrors she had seen in the city.

Econ was in room 312, on the top floor of school. Taped over the door window was a newsletter and calendar. She peeked between the gaps of paper at the teacher and students, some of whom she thought might have been on the bus that morning. She found Jordyn in the middle of the third row and an empty chair in the front she hoped her teacher would assign to her.

Brie checked her schedule for the teacher's name and saw 'Norton' listed next to Econ. He was youngish, had a flop of dark, dark hair and a long, modern beard, the way some men wore them now. She couldn't hear him talking, but he seemed friendly enough in the way he interacted with the class. He said something, smiled, and then the students laughed.

She took a deep breath. The hall pass had a time stamp on it. If she stood there any longer not only would she be interrupting class as a new student, but she'd also have to explain what took her so long.

Gathering her courage, she pulled the door open and walked in.

"Brie Ranger?" the teacher said.

She nodded. Her eyes wandered around but she was careful not to look at him directly. Once she got a better feel for him she'd risk a direct glance.

"I have a tardy slip," she said, holding the paper out.

She knew he was studying her. "Okay, thanks. I'm Mr. Norton. Welcome to the class." He stepped into her line of vision and took the note. "Brie," he said, trying to get her attention.

She shifted back and forth on her feet but didn't look at him.

"You can sit wherever you like. I don't use a seating chart."

"Thank you," she said barely above a whisper and shrunk into the seat up front.

Mr. Norton picked up a small pile from his desk and placed them in front of her. "Here's your books, the syllabus and a few other papers you'll need."

For the rest of class Brie followed along, relieved she was able to keep up with the discussion. Mr. Norton was an excellent teacher, fun, and entertaining. She even found herself smiling at his lame jokes and comic book references.