12. sisters

Chase Underwood sat on a chair inside the concrete room with only the accompaniment of her own rapid breaths, beating heart and sinister thoughts. She cursed herself for getting caught, this was a disgrace. This was not what she was taught. She was taught to never get caught, to avoid capture at all cost, even if it may end her life.

So much for that.

The door of the room opened, startling Chase slightly and breaking the unnerving silence of the room. A tall, dark man with an eye-patch, dressed in black from head to toe, entered, followed by a red-haired woman with striking green eyes. Chase recognised them as Nick Fury and Natasha Romanoff.

Chase swallowed and smiled timidly at them. She knew she was seen as an enemy to them, and she was going to be interrogated by two of the most terrifying people in the universe, but a little smile always helped.

"I expect you to know why you're here Underwood." Nick began, not looking impressed by her attitude.

Chase glanced down at her hands that rested on her lap. The thing was, she was not a sociable person. She wasn't accustomed to speaking with strangers. The fact that the two right in front of her were terrifying and interrogating her did not help her beating heart and trembling state.

"We know that you had a connection to the Winter Soldier," Natasha continued, choosing to ignore the woman's hesitant expression, "so we know that you, at some point, had some connection with H.Y.A.R.A. Judging by the weapons and equipment we discovered in your basement, I take it that that connection hasn't been eradicated."

"I... Those weapons are for self-defense." Chase claimed, twisting her fingers nervously.

"Didn't sound like protection when you were shooting at one of our agents." Nick snapped.

"H-He blew up my wall!"

"There's no use playing the victim card here Underwood," said Natasha, standing up and slamming her hands down on the table, "we have physical proof of your wrongdoings. By the way you fight, I'd say you've received 10 to 20 years of combat training, so you started off when you were, what, 4, 5? The computers found in your little secret bunker contained classified information about the government and the C.I.A., and that's just the tip of the iceberg. The point is, you're screwed one way or another, so why don't you help us and maybe we can shorten your sentence."

Chase kept her mouth shut and worked on regaining control of herself. She had been through worse things than this, she can get through this. She will get through this.

But how?

Natasha was right, she was screwed. They had evidence on her, evidence than could land her in prison for the rest of her miserable life. She was stuck in a room with an Avenger and the director of S.H.I.E.L.D. If she somehow managed to get out of the room, she was certain she was in the middle of S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters. Judging by how organisations like S.H.I.E.L.D. usually structured their base, she was also underground, meaning she'd have to battle agents in their territory. If by some miracle she succeeded, she would be on the run for the rest of her life.

Of course, she could always be honest and tell them why she had such classified documents and how she was involved with H.Y.D.R.A., but she made a promise, a promise that she wasn't going to break. A promise she was willing to take to her grave.

She opened her mouth to retaliate, firmly telling them she wouldn't give them any information but before she could do say the door slammed open, revealing a panting, disheveled figure that Chase recognised immediately. With a lean body, wavy, mahogany locks and unmistakeable jade eyes, Chase could never forget Anastasia Volkov.