Chapter 41- Mad

The first and only meeting Draco had to endure over the winter holiday was Christmas Eve. It started with a welcome to Lucius, who got out of Azkaban in time to attend. Then, the first twenty minutes was spent updating each other of missions going on all over the country. The Carrows killed four families North of London. Bellatrix had used more unforgivables than Draco could count. Greyback still smelt of blood from an endeavor two days ago.

Hogwarts was the next topic, how the barrier kept the Death Eaters out, thankfully in Draco's opinion and unthankfully in everyone else's, with no falter. That was when Draco readied himself, because the question he was anticipating came next, but he'd never had to do it next to his father.

"Draco. Welcome back. Busy with school?"

"It's been a busy term."

"Have you followed my instructions?"

"Yes."

"What's going on with Potter?"

Draco swallowed, thanking himself for taking a numbing potion before this. "He's okay. Still mourning the death of his god-father, but he does his best to move on." Bellatrix gave a cackle. "He tries not to let it effect him, but I see it does. He's definitely more alone because of it. There's tension between his friends, but not with him so much."

"Are you responsible for this tension?"

"I don't need to be. They do it on their own. But I do try to isolate him from them."

"What is Potter like on his off time? What does he do?"

"He plays quidditch a lot. Hangs out in the common room that I know of. Then me."

"I must've been in Azkaban longer than I thought," Lucius gave a laugh looking around the room. "Are you the Potter expert?"

"Your son is a genius, Lucius. Given me enough knowledge to make up for some of your inadequacy. You're lucky I even allow you in this house." The Dark Lord turned back to Draco. "Do you know if he's training?"

"No. Dumbledore's Army disbanded after last year. There's been nothing like it ever since. I don't even think he duels. He hates studying, so he'd only do it if he was forced to."

"What are his studies now?"

Snape spoke, filling him in on the curriculum that he'd been using, which Draco was thankful about, because he'd missed so many classes working on the cabinet, or he spent them daydreaming about Harry.

"Ah, our dark magic could abolish any one of those spells. Good job, Severus. Get with Draco and make sure he knows all the counter curses. I imagine if needed, Draco needs to be prepared." His snake eyes then turned to Draco. "Is there anything you need from us to help you?"

He swallowed before bravely speaking. "Having the Mark on my arm—I-I don't know if he can feel it or not. But he's suspicious. And I've deterred him as much as I can."

"You're saying you wish to get rid of it."

"No. Absolutely not! I've earned my Mark!"

"Why would you need to hide to show your wrist?"

Bellatrix answered for him. "Mating."

The room erupted in laughter and scowls of disgust. Draco refused to look at Lucius, who had his mouth slightly open and eyes wide. Instead, he focused his efforts on acting.

"He's a disgusting half-breed. Absolutely not. Never," Draco visibly gagged. "I don't even want to think about it."

Bellatrix cocked her head. "Has he asked for it? Has he really fallen that hard? It's pathetic."