Chapter 1

Ben
December 31, 2005

*

Five years earlier

*

After entering the run-down bar, I head straight towards the back to our favorite beat-up, wooden booth. It's the only table big enough to fit all of our friends, plus the curved seat makes it easier to pick up chicks. Just keep sliding closer and closer, they never notice until it's too late.

I nod as I approach the bartender. He begins preparing the usual for me and my wing-man. God, I love McClain's.

Most people walk right past this hole-in-the-wall without so much as a glance, but for those of us who dare to enter, we know the truth.

It's the onion rings you crave as soon as you walk in the door.

It's the jukebox sitting in the corner that only plays one fucking song.

It's the bartender, Barry, who knows your usual as soon as he sees you.

It's the ladies' night every Wednesday that brings in fresh meat for me and my wingman.

Throwing a glance in Nate's direction, I notice a hot little brunette sitting in our booth. Did Nate already score? Damn... That was fast.

I guess not, since she's talking to the redhead Nate was with last week... Was it Jenny or something? Shit, who cares?

Why is she here again? It's New Year's Eve, the ultimate time to pick up lonely, desperate chicks. So much for my wingman.

I grab our drinks and make my way over. After checking to make sure the girls aren't looking, I give Nate a pointed look and nod towards the brunette.

Dibs, man. I'm calling dibs. Stay the fuck away from this one. Please.

Shit. He completely ignores me.
Come on asshole, throw me a bone.

He motions for me to sit next to him. "Hey man, have a seat!"

I would much rather sit on the other side, but I slide in next to him, trying to hide my disappointment.

"Ness, you remember Benny-boy, don't you?" Nate throws his arm around the redhead's shoulders. She giggles and whispers to her friend, but doesn't move it away.

What the fuck? Are they dating now? Ugh. Why is she here again?

Catch and release, man.
Isn't that the drill?

"Of course, I remember, Snuggly-bear." She scratches Nate's beard with both hands.

What? Is he a fucking dog?

She winks to her little friend. Wait, is that a good sign?

The friend rolls her eyes. I guess not.

"Nice to see you again." I try to put on a smile that I'm not really feeling, since I can think of twenty things I would rather be doing other than making small talk with Nate's shoulda-been-one-night stand.

Several of which include the brunette sitting next to her.

I glance past the redhead to see if the brunette is going to introduce herself, but she looks away quickly. Come on, I just need to know your name.

I look at Nate, hoping he will introduce me, but the bastard just sits there with Red.

I steal another look, taking in her heart shaped face and pink, pouty lips. I bet they taste amazing.