- Addiction 17 -

17
• • •
Orlyndo Toni Braune

"Anyway... This cancer thing" I spoke up, "I thought there was a cure for it?" I inquired

"Oh, I don't know if there is. I just can't get the chemotherapy treatments anymore"

"And why is that?"

"There's a list. The list contains the wealthy ones, the ones that can afford some of the bills, then you have the ones who can't. It also goes by your age, especially your race" She explained, "And since I'm a black woman who can barely afford to pay these bills, I'm at the bottom- therefore, I can't get the treatment"

I stared blankly at her, "That is the stupidest shit I've ever heard"

"The feeling's mutual but-"

"I'll pay for it then" I suggested

"Huh? What- no, I can't let you do that. It's too much money- money that you're wasting on me. The therapies cost a lot-"

"When it comes to spending my own money on you, it's never being wasted" I kissed her forehead, "Remember that"

She nodded, laying her head on my shoulder. I've been here all night and I didn't want to leave. I had no reason to leave. Yes I have to go to work, but that's at the least of my worries when it comes to Karma. She always comes first now.

We laid next to each other in silence which is how I prefer it. Sometimes I like to hear her ramble on about nothing and weird situations, sometimes I like to hear her moan, or hum lyrics to a song.

Then my mind thought of what the women said on television. It pissed me off to even listen to them speak about me abusing someone I slightly confessed my feelings for.

"Is everything okay?" Karma questioned

"If I say yes, will you be quiet?" I mumbled sternly

"What did I do now to make you angry again?" She sat up, "Is it what we were watching a few minutes ago?"

Ignoring her, I focused on who passed by the room out the window.

"Talk to me" She turned my face towards her

I snatched her hand away, "For what?"

"Because we always talk, so why not?" She raised an eyebrow

I groaned, getting out the hospital bed. "We don't talk, Karma. We confess and we argue"

She frowned, "Th-That's how we communicate. It's communication-"

"It's not-"

"- it makes our relationship become stronger" She finished

"Relationship? What kind of relationship do you think we have?" I questioned her

"A decent one"

"No, it's an unstable one" I sighed, "We're not... We're not a good, you know"

"Couple?"

Running my hands through my hair, I dragged them down my face, "Yes that"