Chapter Forty Three: Murphy's Law

*****

A part of me thinks that I must be hallucinating.

What are the odds that Garrett Harrison would happen to be attending this function and I wouldn't know about it? And it isn't just some random drop-by; his tux says otherwise.

"Mr. Harrison. What are you doing here?"

He smiles, similar to the way he would smile at me months before. But now, it doesn't look too genuine in my eyes.

"Why, I wanted to surprise everyone with my appearance. I came a little late, but it's the thought that counts, correct?"

I manage a laugh. "Yes, yes, I suppose. I just...I'm just shocked to see you. I feel as if it's been so long."

"It has been long."

And then it's quiet. Us alone in this hallway, with his insincere smile in my direction gives me goosebumps.

"I've been monitoring your progress, Leslie, and I must say that you are doing an exceptional job so far."

"Thank you, sir—"

"But I do have one issue."

His eyes aren't readable, and neither is his motive.

I shift nervously in my heels, "Wh-what issue is that?"

Garrett stalks closer towards me, and out of instinct, I take a step back. Loretta's words flood back into my brain, and I remember how frightened she was to talk to me because of the possibility of Garrett finding out. It's as if I'm experiencing her emotions.

He sees how much I'm on the edge, but he purposefully doesn't comment on it; he knows what he's doing. "I heard about Sebastian's interview with Ms. Moghadam in the main ballroom. And to be quite honest, I'm not happy about it."

"I'm sorry to hear that, Mr. Harrison."

"You don't sound too sorry."

This is the first time that Garrett has ever used that tone with me. Now I know the cards have changed. But for what play?

Back taut, eyes leveled. Don't show him you're afraid.

"In actuality, I'm not sorry. I decided to take a different approach towards the public, since we've been generally unsuccessful so far."

"I'm always open to new approaches, but I'm concerned that this new approach is guiding you into waters that you have no authority to sail through."

My hands are clasped together so tightly the friction is painful. Garrett knows something. But what, specifically?

It's so quiet you can hear us both breathing.

"Why are you really here, Mr. Harrison?" I ask.

"I know what you've been doing, Leslie. And I want it to stop."

"I don't know what you're talking about—"

"Don't take me for a fool, Leslie!" he snaps. I suddenly don't know how to breathe. "You know exactly what I'm talking about!"

He counts off on his fingers. "The interview in the ballroom? Loretta? The therapy? Did you honestly believe that I wouldn't find out about all of this?"

"No! I had no intentions on being secretive because I didn't think it was important for you to know in the first place."

His voice is a menacing growl. "It is important. You're prying into a family that isn't yours, and that is not what I sent you here to do. I sent you here to make sure that Sebastian's image is repaired. I sent you here, because I can't possibly convince the Board to appoint a debauching heathen as the president of the company!"