Chapter Thirty-Four: Midnight

Terra's mood:

– Terra –

It was an endless game. Kelly wouldn't stop spinning the bottle, it was like she was obsessed with the very sight of it spinning, which is rather frightening. Samuel dropped unconscious on his eight shot, and he was already on the brink of throwing up on his sixth.

I've been sitting still in this kneeling position for almost an hour, watching numbly as everyone starts giving in to the effects of alcohol. The game lasted for two hours with frequent breaks in between, and as surprising as it is, I only got picked by the bottle three times, and that was it. No one else got as lucky as me though.

I look around the circle slowly. Kacey has been laughing hysterically to herself on the bean bag ever since we decided three was her limit, and we were right. Kelly is now halfway passing out, lying flat on the ground with an empty bottle positioned vertically in her hand. Daniel is lying on the couch, already passed out after consuming five in a row. Penelope is now robotically licking the icing off every cupcake she can find, drifting away from reality by the second.

Unsure of what to do next, I turn to Cody who is holding a shot in his hand, leaning against the couch that Daniel is sleeping on. Apart from his tangled hair and flushed cheeks, he looks sober. I watch him drown another shot and immediately stumble to the bathroom, only to end up at the kitchen sink. Okay, so he's not that sober.

Zach is now sitting a little further away from me, leaning against the wall for support. Apart from Samuel, Zach was the other one who also had the pleasant luck of consuming eight shots. He keeps his eyes half-opened, and he hasn't uttered a word ever since his last turn. I don't even know if he's okay, and I'm almost afraid to ask.

I tap on my phone to check the time. It is only half pass eleven. When Daniel sounded off the announcement of having a GSG party, I had pictured a really healthy gathering with pleasant company and good food, only with a little bit of booze at the side. I thought it'd be the most innocent party I'll ever attend, considering the nature of the club and its members. After witnessing what I just did, I now admit I've never been more wrong in my entire life.

Empty glasses and bottles are scattered throughout the floor, along with half-eaten cupcakes and buckets of leftover chicken wings. Hesitantly, I reach for one of the sealed pizza boxes and check if there are any left. I help myself to a slice and chew quietly. The place is completely silent apart from the sound of Samuel snoring and Kacey giggling to herself.

It is official. I'm the only sober one in this house.

I take a bite off the cold pizza, chomping a bite full of pepperoni and savoring the bursting taste of tomatoes and Italian spices. I'm not the kind who fusses over whether the food is warm or cold, so with that said, I don't mind wiping off the remaining slices at all. I gobble the first piece effortlessly and help myself to a second one. At this point, I can eat like a complete mess and no one is going to be around to see it. I guess this party isn't so bad.