Remus meets Hope

Hope Rosily Weasley was born a week ago and it has been the best and worst week of my life. Hope has been waking us up early in the morning for feeding and cries for hours on end, honestly, she could cry for England. I was exhausted anyway from giving birth but she has kept me up so much. Despite all this, it has been a dream, I never thought much about my future after Hogwarts and now I'm in a beautiful house with my beautiful baby and my handsome fiancee.

I just finished changing Hope and set her down for her afternoon nap, she looked so small in her big cot next to Mr Snuffles that I had given her when we got back from the hospital. I gently closed the door and walked downstairs to sit down and have a moment of peace and quiet; Fred was out buying food, Hope was asleep and I was able to relax a bit.

The moment didn't last long because the fireplace lit up and Remus walked out coughing and dusting off his jacket. I quickly stood up to greet him. "What are you doing here Moony?" I asked as I gave him a hug which he returned quickly. "Just thought I'd pop in and see you since I haven't seen you in over a month now." He smiled, I gestured him to follow me into the kitchen so that I could make us tea. "So, I see you've had the baby." He said grinning as I turned on the kettle. "Yep, she's sleeping upstairs." I smiled.
"You had a girl?" Remus asked, his smile still visible on his face but now filled with pride. The kettle finished boiling and I poured the water into the prepared cups. "Yeah, you can see her when she wakes up." I said and handed him his cup which he took with a thank you.

"How's Tonks doing?" I asked as we sat down in the living room. Remus looked tiredly down at his mug and ran his thumb across it. "She's doing well, her and the baby are fine." He trailed off leaving me to notice that he wasn't doing as well. "What about you, Remus, how are you?" I asked sincerely. He looked up and gave me a small smile. "I'm fine. I'm just worried that the baby will have my condition." He genuinely looked nervous about it. 

"It will be fine Remus." I said comfortingly.

"What if it's not, what if we'll constantly have to move due to the kid's actions and violence?" He said staring at his hands. "Remus, if the baby does have lycanthropy you'll know how to help it, wont you, someone who has dealt with it first hand will be bound to know a trick or two about dealing with it and if Tonks can deal with you on a full moon, she can deal with a baby." I smiled resting my hand on his shoulder.
"When did you become so grown up?" Remus said quietly. "If Sirius could see you now..." Remus muttered, a few tears formed in my eyes but I blinked them away and gave Remus a hug.

"I'm back!" Fred called from the entryway, he shut the door a little too forcefully and the bang made me jump. I counted down the seconds till I heard the cries. I sighed and excused myself to go get Hope. I hopped up the stairs and down the hall to Hopes room where she was laying in her bed crying. "Hey, shhh, did the loud noise scare you?" I cooed as I leaned down and picked Hope up. I cradled her in my arms and gently rocked side to side, she eventually stopped crying but she didn't look like she would fall asleep anytime soon so I carried her back downstairs.

I got to the bottom of the stairs and walked into the living room where Remus was still sat looking slightly uncomfortable. "Remus meet Hope." I said as I sat down next to him, I passed Hope to Remus and he cradled her so carefully, like she was a china doll."Hope is my mum's name you know?" He said, almost shocked.
"I didn't know that." I looked at him and smiled. "I just gave her that name because she gave me so much-"
"Hope." Remus finished for me and looked back down at the small baby in his arms "She looks just like you." He said quietly as he stared into her blue-grey eyes that matched mine. Remus turned to look at me again, now with tears in his eyes and a proud smile on his face. "Seriously when did you grow up? I look at you now and I no longer see my best friend's baby girl, I see a beautiful, elegant woman." I smiled and looked down, tears forming in my eyes. "You've grown up so much and you are so much like your mother, and in several ways like your father. I'm so proud to call you my God daughter." He continued. I gave him a hug, being careful of Hope, and let a few tears fall down my cheeks.

Hope fell asleep in Remus' arms shortly after I brought her down but was woken up again when he left. I carried her up to her room and fed her then changed her into fresh pajamas. She was still restless so I sat in the chair and wrapped us up in a blanket then began to sing Hope a lullaby whilst I stroked her short, curly brown hair.

I remember tears streaming down your face
When I said 'I'll never let you go'
When all those shadows almost killed your light
I remember you said 'don't leave me here alone'
But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight.

Just close your eyes
The sun is going down
You'll be alright
No one can hurt you now
Come morning light
You and I'll be safe and sound

Don't you dare look out your window
Darling everything's on fire
The war outside our door keeps raging on
Hold on to this lullaby
Even when the music's gone

Just close your eyes
the sun is going down
You'll be alright
No one can hurt you now
Come morning light
You and I'll be safe and sound

Just close your eyes
You'll be alright
Come morning light
You and I'll be safe and sound.

I looked down and Hope was asleep in my arms. Very slowly, I stood up and gently place her in her cot. I folded up the blanket and put it back on the chair then walked out of the room where Fred was standing waiting. "You have a beautiful singing voice." He said as he took me in his arms. I rested my hands on his shoulders and kissed him softly, and for a moment I forgot about everything that is going on outside these walls.