29. Playing the Waiting Game

29. Playing the Waiting Game: Xander's Pov

Chapter Goal (for an early update): 2k votes

QOTC- Vans or Converse?

"I'm reminding you of the offer, Xander Reynolds." Charlotte tightly grips my hand when she hears his voice. "You can hand her over and no one gets hurt except for her-"

"I'm not going anywhere with you, Dylan." for the first time, she says his name without fear.

"Once I'm done with you-"

"Fuck off." I growl, pressing the 'End Call' button. I regret not killing him in the slaughter-house, it would've ended all of this and Charlotte wouldn't be in as much danger. I should've listened to her when she said it was a bad idea to keep him alive. My wolf and I just wanted him to pay for what he did to our mate, but that's just hurting our relationship in the long run.

Looking down at my mate, I frown when I see her tracing her wrist. She hasn't purposely harmed herself in a long time, but Dylan might just be what sends her over her breaking point. "I'm not tired." she whispers, slowly walking away from me. Whenever I'm upset, I tend to become clingy to Charlotte; when she's upset, however, she becomes very distant.

"What are you doing?" I ask, preventing her from leaving the bedroom by blocking off the door. She tries to get push past me, but I don't budge.

"I need to go clean the house." she answers, not looking at me. "I won't hurt myself." she says, referring to her previous cutting habits. It's not that I don't trust her not to harm herself, it's the fact that she won't talk to me that's worrying me. When Charlotte starts avoiding me, that's when I know that something's wrong. She never lets out her anger which means that if she doesn't vent and tell someone about what's bothering her, she isolates herself. And I go crazy when she doesn't talk to me.

"You will not do anything until you get some rest." When she tries to push past me again, I bend down and pick her up and gently throw her over my shoulder, making sure that there isn't any pressure on her abdomen.

"Put me down, Xander." she grumbles, her voice laced with exhaustion. She doesn't hit me or do anything to physically protest being in my arms, but I can tell how annoyed she is with me by how she didn't say 'please'.

"Go to sleep, sweetheart." I sigh, putting her down just incase the amount of blood flow going to her head is harming her and the baby.

"The house-"

"I told you already, I'll clean it up. You need to get some rest, I'll wake you up if something exciting happens." Just ten minutes ago, I walked downstairs to find my mate fast asleep on the living room floor with cleaning supplies surrounding her. Not only did I freak out because she wasn't next to me in bed, but I also started panicking when I saw that some of the cleaning sprays were open. The chemical fumes could've harmed Charlotte and our unborn child.

"Can I sleep in th-the living room?" Charlotte asks, finally giving in to her sleepiness. "I don't want to be alone in the room."

"Of course, sweetheart." I nod, my tone softer now. After that phone call with Dylan, it would be stupid of me to leave Charlotte in our bedroom alone while she's sleeping. She would be unprotected and unaware of her surroundings if I did that.