seven

As much as I adore Christmas, the one thing I dread every festive season is the annual Ministry Christmas party. A bunch of Ministry co-workers show up, usually at some fancy hotel, and use the party as an escapist excuse to get drunk and forget the weight of their jobs. And, of course, they drag their kids along with them. There are Ministry workers that avidly avoid the party - it might be somewhat tolerable if Ron and Ginny were here - but my parents, particularly my dad, who works in the Department of Security, see it as a Christmas ritual. I usually hang out with Susan Bones, a timid Hufflepuff girl whose aunt is a Ministry worker. This year, however, I have been to my greatest dismay informed by her aunt, Amelia Bones, that Susan is in bed with the flu. I wish I were in bed with the flu right now.

So when I first arrive, I have no idea how I'll possibly get through the night. I stand, lonely in the corner of the massive room, which has been lavishly and over-exaggeratedly decked with wreaths and Christmas trees and tinsel. The lights are nauseatingly bright and the air is stuffy. The music is loud, too loud. It's like when Hermione brought me to a muggle concert and we stood too close to the speaker. Except here there is no speaker, and nowhere to get away from the chatter and overly loud classical music.

But two hours, and multiple vividly coloured drinks later, the room is prettier and I am dangerously dizzy. "Last one," I tell the guy at the refreshments table, whose name I've forgotten but I have befriended. He's a lanky guy, not far over eighteen, and is probably only letting me stay because I am his only source of entertainment in an otherwise dull party, but he lets me have the adult punch so I don't mind.

"That looks alarmingly bright," says a voice behind me.

I turn. Malfoy slouches behind me with his hands in his pockets. He's clearly grumpy, but in his fancy shirt, I'll admit it - he looks extremely handsome.

"Malfoy," I say happily. "Fancy seeing you here. Are you following me?"

Under the garish, twinkly Christmas lights, I swear I see the corners of Draco's mouth turn up. "Don't worry Belly, I'm not that into you."

I turn to the punch guy with a meaningful look on my face. "You hear that? He's into me."

When I turn back, Draco is looking down at my cup, sceptical. I jerk it back. "Just joking. Anyway, nice to see you. Happy Christmas. Having a good holiday? Me too. Well, it's alright I suppose." I sigh. "You want to go up to the roof? I've been told there's a great view. Stephen here-"

"It's Stefan-"

"-Knows all the secrets of this place." I wink at the punch guy. "But he says I'm not allowed go up alone because it's too high. Care to be my plus one?"

"Not particularly," Draco replies casually. He turns to the table and inspects the empty trays in disdain. His eyes flicker over to my cup again. "Where are your parents?"

"Why?" I ask, moving closer. I lean into him. "Are you trying to get me in trouble? Where'd your weird, overly-niceness go?" He doesn't reply. "Fine," I say, whipping away and starting towards the nearest door. "I'll go to the roof myself."

As I am halfway up the only staircase I can find – it must lead to the roof – footsteps sound behind me. "Ah, Malfoy," I say delightedly. He stands a few steps below me, and I notice his black suit and tie for the first time. He looks very handsome. "My knight in shining armour," I say sarcastically. "Come to help me not to die?"

"No," Draco says stiffly. "I just wanted to go up myself." But as I move forward to the door, his eyes are on me, and curiosity betrays his lazy gaze.

I push open the heavy door and for a brief moment, I am stone cold sober. The roof of the hotel overlooks the entire city of London, and I am dazzled by lights upon lights, from streetlights to billboards to Christmas decorations, illuminating the dark city. Music drifts up through the cold air towards us from faint carols being sung at a church nearby. The people on the street below us are ants, the buildings straight ahead are silhouettes. And when I look up, there is a canopy of stars protecting us from whatever lies above it.