Chapter Twenty Four

Sandro had left early, which was a mercy, for she didn't want him to be seen coming out of her apartment. Not that people here would judge her, but being born and raised in Estallium where appearances mattered, old habits died hard. After helping herself to a fresh chunk of bread and some cheese from the private dining room down the hall, mercifully empty at this hour, Elena returned to her apartment to find the tailor setting up for a fitting. She had almost forgotten about the new uniform Liran had ordered for her.

In fact, there were two. They lay over the chairs in her sitting area, both a deep navy colour with buttons, braids and other trim done in silver. One outfit was more ornate than the other, clearly intended for formal occasions. The workmanship was beautiful. The jackets were lined and reinforced under the arms. When she looked closer, she noticed that the more ornate one was also made of a patterned fabric; blue on blue. She smiled at the subtleness of the work. The tailor stood by, waiting.

"If you care to try them on, Captain, I can make adjustments within the hour. You will be able to wear them today." The iron grey-haired Trillas woman bowed, and collected up the simpler of the two garments for Elena to try on.

The jacket was lighter than she expected. The fabric was wool, woven in durable twill, but the weight of it was remarkably slight.

"It's very fine," Elena commented as she removed the old Paracha grey jacket she normally wore and slipped on the new one. The inside was as soft as feathers, and was lined with a silky fabric which was probably cotton because it wasn't chilly to the touch.

She buttoned up it up all the way. Elena looked into a full-length mirror the woman had brought and was pleased at the trim fit which made her seem a little taller. That never hurt her authority. Elena stood still while the tailor smoothed out the fabric and checked over her work.

"I must make more room in the upper arm area, but otherwise it fits well enough." The woman's face didn't reveal any of her feelings. She fetched the second jacket from the chair and handed it to Elena.

After handing back the first jacket, Elena tried on the second. It was made of an even finer cloth, this one in damask brocade instead of the simpler, more functional twill. She caressed the front panel to make it lay flat. The garment appeared to keep its press well.

"Where did you get this fabric?"

"The Hilliri make such things here in Castillon. They have developed special looms for weaving intricate patterns."

"They have a taste for subtle beauty."

The woman turned up her mouth in a slight smile.

"Indeed, they do."

She slipped off the finer jacket and handed it back to the woman. There was a knock on the door. Elena opened it to find Liran, dressed for the day, but not looking as fresh as usual. She remembered the awkward moment at her door last night. Her cheeks flared with sudden heat. The Prince pulled himself upright.

"I see the jackets I ordered have arrived. Is everything fitting well?"

"Yes, they are very fine. Thank you very much."

He glanced at the tailor.

"Can I have a few minutes with the Captain?"

The woman curtsied and gathered up the jackets.

"I will return with these in an hour."

Once the door closed, Liran returned his gaze to Elena. He glanced shyly downward for a moment, breathing in.

"I'm sorry I disturbed you last night. It occurred to me afterward that you might like a different set of rooms...somewhere where you won't have me so close by. I don't intend to observe you, but being right here presents certain difficulties."