THIRTY-FOUR (EDITED)

I tentatively follow Harry into his apartment. Is he really going to tell me what's going on with Alec and the rest?

Harry walks into the kitchen and I take a seat on the couch.

Harry returns to the living area with a Snickers bar in his hand. He unwraps it and breaks off half for me. I thank him silently as he sits on the coffee table across from me, our knees almost touching.

"First off," He says. "I don't ever want you following me ever again, because now we're both in deep shit for your little stunt."

I swallow. "Okay," I say. "I won't."

"Yeah, you said that last time."

I look down at my lap. What was I thinking? Did I honestly think I would get away with this?

Harry finishes eating his Snickers, chewing thoughtfully. He puts his hands on his knees, looking to the floor.

I swallow the last of my Snickers and look at Harry. He sighs and looks up at me.

"I moved to the United States when I was twenty one," He says. "A lot of shit happened just before that, so I wanted to get the hell out of England."

I nod slowly.

"Long story short," He says. "I met Alec and the rest." He rubs his hands over his knees, letting out a breath.

"They run a black market operation," He says. "Companies that are failing or having trouble with finances reach out to them to help them get more income, thus helping their companies become more successful."

"How...how do they get the money?"

A crooked smile spreads across Harry's face. "That's the key." He runs his tongue over his lips briefly before going on. He leans forward, lowering his voice. "Alec Wolfe is a very important person," He says slowly, his voice raspy. "He knows a lot of important people, and he knows how to talk to them." Harry meets my gaze. "If a company reaches out to him, he gets money for that company by compensating it from another."

I furrow my brow. "So...he gets money for the new company from a company he already manages?"

Harry nods. "Exactly. Nobody wins but him."

Out of all the things I'd expected, I can honestly say that was not one of them. It's genius, really.

"How do none of these companies find out?" I ask.

"That's where Alec's charisma comes in. He convinces the chairmen of the company who detect foul play that it's only the economy taking their money, not him. He'll do anything to ensure they don't find out. He throws them banquets and parties." Harry runs a hand through his hair. "See, he doesn't entirely compensate the other companies with the money he takes. He takes sixty percent of the money for our organization and only uses forty percent to indemnify other companies."

"So if he takes fifty thousand dollars from one company to reimburse another..."

"Only twenty thousand goes to the company, leaving thirty thousand for himself and the rest of us that help him out."

"Wow," I breathe, leaning back on the couch. "Wait, but what happens if executives suspecting foul play don't buy into his charisma?"

"He gets them shit drunk most of the time, but some are smart enough to almost figure it out. Then, he just writes them a big ass check and that usually satisfies them." Harry clasps his hands together. "Alec will do anything to ensure this secret is safe. And I mean anything."

"He thinks I know," I say, the puzzle pieces slowly beginning to fall into place. "That's why they raided my apartment and followed me after work...they think I knew all this time."

Harry nods. "Do you understand why I can't have you following me any longer?" His tone is urgent.

I nod.

"Rose," Harry says, reaching out and touching my knee. My skin burns with his touch. "Under no circumstances will you let them know I told you this."

"Of course," I say.

"If they find out you know...if you give them proof that you know...there's nothing either of us can do." Harry's eyes bore into mine.

"What about this afternoon, though?" I ask. "They saw me there, they..." Panic rises up inside of me. I shoot up from the couch, beginning to pace. "Alec knows that I know something, that you're involved..."

"Rose." Harry stands, walking over to me. "I'll fix it."

"How?"

"I..." Harry looks down.

"I mean, there's no valid reason other than I'm nosy-"

"Rose, you need to calm down so I can think." Harry presses his fingers to his temples and sits back on the coffee table.

My pulse accelerates as I watch him from where I stand by the window.

"I think..." Harry looks up at me. "I think we just need to stay away from each other."

My heart sinks without my consent. I blink a couple times. "That's the only way?" I ask, trying to keep my voice steady.

Harry licks his lips and shrugs, shaking his head. "I...I can't think of another option."

"How will that fix anything with Alec? What if he sends Niall and Louis after me again?" My voice rises an octave as I rattle on.

Harry puts his head in his hands. "Jesus Christ, this is a mess," He groans.

I run a hand through my hair, sighing.

"Okay," Harry says finally. looking up at me. "I'm going to talk to Alec."

"What will you tell him?"

"I don't know," He says. "But I'll figure it out."

I nod silently.

Harry watches me from the coffee table. "Are you afraid?" He asks.

I swallow. "I'd be lying if I said I wasn't," I say quietly.

He looks at me with hooded eyes. I shift my gaze to the floor.

"Can I interest you in a Snickers?"

I look up at Harry. A small smile is painted onto his lips.

I laugh lightly. A grin spreads across Harry's face and he gets up to walk over to the cabinet above the fridge. He hands me a candy bar and gets one for himself, shutting the cabinet.

I lean back against the counter, biting into my chocolate. Harry leans against the counter across from me, his green eyes boring into me.

"It's going to be all right, Rose," He says.

"How do you know?" I ask. I must sound so pathetic.

He stares at me for a moment. "I don't," He says. "I just know I'm going to do everything I can to make sure you're safe from these guys, all right?"

"Why?" I breathe. "Why do you care?"

Harry throws the wrapper of his Snickers in the trash. "I don't know," He says quietly. "I just know I care enough to make sure they leave you alone."