Chapter Thirty-Three - Trust

Lea

         River pulls up in his usual parking space outside the house. Today, there has been perfect weather; thus we've been riding with the car roof down.

And unfortunately, today has also been the day where I lose my hair-band, so I've had to wear my hair down this whole car ride. When the car comes to a stop, and no more wind can viciously attack my hair, I release a sigh of relief through my lips. I brush my wind-blown hair back with my fingers to get the loose strands out of my eyes and mouth.

As the engine dies, I'm reminded of the rectangular envelope, which rests on my lap, the sun brightens its already white colour. Inside, it beholds my mock exam results. Although the envelope is as light as a feather, it feels like a ton of bricks on my thighs.

I really, really, really need to open it. 

"I don't think your parents are home yet; you might as well just open it now." River says and gestures towards the envelope. He's amused at how nervous I am.

A gentle breeze brushes past us and manages to move the envelope slightly in my lap. Due to the adrenaline pumping through my body already, my hands automatically slap down onto the paper, stopping it from flying away with the wind. I glance from the paper squished under my hand, to River, who is still smirking at me.

"No, no, no, for the last time," I reply since this isn't the first time he's tried to get me to open my results. Lifting the envelope with my fingers, I clutch it to my chest, pressing it against one of Marissa's red tops. "My parents have to be with me when I open this." I finish.

A small chuckle swirls out of his mouth, "how come?" He raises one eyebrow, waiting for a response.

"Because..." I say, turning away from him to look else where other than his brown eyes.

He laughs, allowing his laughter to echo throughout the air lingering around us. The vibrations of which send chills through my veins, igniting my stomach with fire, which sets off a series of fireworks within me. I glance back at him, my eyes landing on his lips. The sight of them takes me back to this morning - the kiss, his hug, my legs around his waist.

Will you be my girlfriend?

River's soothing yet husky voice repeats in my mind, the words in a continuous cycle in my head. Me? His girlfriend?

You're blushing, Lea.

I quickly pull some hair out from behind my ear, in hope to hide my flushed face from River's view. To this moment, I'm still utterly shocked as to why River Parker would want me to be his girlfriend; Lea Wilson, the okay-looking girl with the okay-body. That's it, just okay, just average.

So why would he settle for average, when he can easily have so much better?

"So, are we going to sit here until your parents come? Or shall we go inside?" River interrupts my trail of thoughts.

         Giving him a quick look, I nod.

         "Let's go," he says, twisting his car keys out of the ignition and climbing out of the car.

         I replicating his movements, I get out of the car and wait for him to lock it. After, he stuffs his keys into his trouser pocket and joins me in walking towards the grand entrance door to the house.

         Everything today seems so much brighter, and it's not just the weather.

         I'm startled when River drapes his arm around my shoulders, pulling me into his side, and consequently molding our bodies together. Surprised by his sudden embrace, I take a small step back, but our bodies are still within a few inches of each other. His muscular arm loosens slightly but never lets me go.