2:01

[ THE STAND: CHAPTER ONE ]

'My dear Rebekah, I hope this finds you well

'My dear Rebekah, I hope this finds you well. I write to offer an update and ask for your advice. Our brothers remain at odds. Klaus will never apologize-- not for the blood he's shed, nor the suffering Hayley continues to endure-- and Elijah can never forgive him. Despite my efforts, we are a house divided. Which is not to say I have no good news...

Niklaus kept his word-- Marcel controls the Quarter. There, he has founded a fight gym in the old St. Anne's Church where he tests the mettle of those who wish to join his vampire community. Elijah has begun joining him for sparring. I believe it helps him work through his anger... and he has much anger. While Hope continues to flourish, it is clear she misses her mother. Though Niklaus remains the doting father, he has been of no help in finding a cure for Hayley's curse. Despite my best efforts, I've yet to find the means to undo the spell placed on her and the Crescent wolves, and Hayley herself continues to struggle, unable to see her child except for one night a month during the full moon. And we're in no position to ask for outside help...

Davina's rage at our family has only grown. And, as Regent of all covens, she is far too formidable to be swayed. She blames Niklaus for the death of our brother, Kol, which led Rhea and Ares to leave the quarter— on a quest for power to help them in resurrecting him. Rhea's anger is unparalleled, her brother of course, on her side. The three of them are no longer allies, and I doubt they ever will be again.

Meanwhile, Niklaus has begun to see Camille for what he calls "their little chats." He claims a desire to amend his ways. In truth, he seems utterly free of remorse... which only drives Elijah further away.

I wonder if you would write me with any advice you have on how to heal their fractured bond. Until then, I remain your loving sister Freya.'

▽▲▽▲▽

Both Rhea and Ares Monroe had always had impeccable timing, so it was no surprise to Davina Claire that in a time of need, the two had showed up.

The siblings had only just arrived back into the French Quarter after their stay in Greece but they immediately sought out their friend, finding her in the Lafayette Cemetery, addressing a gathering of several dozen witch elders from the nine covens.

"Thank you for coming. I spent the night consulting our ancestors. They say we must remain strong and to defend our homes. But, for now, no covens are to expand into Gentily." None of the elders looked please as they started to chat between themselves, some even going so far as to shooting angry glares at the newly declared regent.

Davina continued on, trying not to let their unsupportive behaviour bother her, "This decision is to keep us from a violent turf-war with the vampires. And it's final." Most of the elders remain unsurprised, until one, Kara Nguyen, scoffed loudly before pulling the hood of her sweater up and turning away— about to leave.

Davina immediately took offence to the action, "Excuse me, Kara— I did not dismiss you. Do not walk away from me!"

The elder started to mumble an incantation under her breath as she continued to walk through the crowd of people, Davina's right wrist broke soon after, her scream of pain immediately alarmed the two Monroes, a ring of fire then formed around a very scared, overwhelmed looking Davina Claire, and they knew it was time to make themselves known.

While Davina worked on dismissing the fire, Rhea and Ares stepped out, blocking the witch, Kara's, way.

"Well what do we have here? Attacking your new regent? That can't look good to those ancestors of yours." Rhea remarked, the witch in question gave both of them a dirty look— Davina had looked up at the sound of the familiar voice, her face turning from one of scared to one of pure joy.

"You have no business here, you dare call yourselves witches? You're abominations!"

Ares pretended to look shocked before replying, "There's that word again, abomination. It's quite humorous the way others react to those they are inferior too, don't you think, Rhea?"

"You are correct, brother. You see, all those centuries you lot called us abominations, we were the same as you— and now, your nine covens don't stand a chance." As the siblings were talking, the air throughout the whole cemetery thickened— everyone present in that cemetery could feel the magic radiating off of them, it was nothing like they'd ever felt before.

Kara left then, not wanting to start an out right war with the two, and not long after; so did the remaining elders.

Davina rushed towards her friends, relieved to see them back, she hugged Rhea who only seemed to squeeze her friend harder; she truly had missed the witch she had come to call her best friend.

When she hugged Ares, however, it was much more intimate and Rhea only smiled at her brother and her friend— happy that they had found something good within each other. Although, they never actually done anything more than hold hands in front of her, something she was truly grateful for as she really did not need to see that.

She felt elated that her brother had connected with the Claire witch, he had never truly connected with another girl before— Rhea could only hope it would last.

"When did you two get back?" Davina asked excitedly as she pulled away from Ares, the two couldn't have returned at a better time.

"Literally around ten minutes ago, tracked you down straight away, of course." Rhea told her friend with a grin, something that Davina had missed— Rhea Monroe could easily light up a room with a single smile, but she could also easily tear it down with a flick of her wrist.

"Thank you, for what you did back there." Clearly she was referring to the siblings confronting Kara.

"You know we would never let anyone hurt you, little one." Ares told Davina with a smirk, the latter nudging him in the arm for his comment about her height.

"How did things go in Greece?"

Rhea and Ares looked to each other, before back to Davina, "Davina Claire, you're gonna need to sit down for this one."

▽▲▽▲▽

Short but, I never like doing long opening chapters— so here we are. Plus, I really suck at opening chapters.

Next update will be tonight or tomorrow.

Until next time,
-Meg