Chapter 14

In the bright lit office of Halal Irish Meats, Salman seething eyes met with the chairperson of the company that was his biggest suppliers. His jaw tightened and his grip on his pen stiffened. Mr. Shams swallowed seeing the leashed rage in the young man. He didn't know how he will answer to the questions that Salman was adamant to ask.

Never leaving his blazing gaze, "Let's be honest with each other, Shams." Salman said in a very cool voice which was a cover up for his temper.

Shams slightly nodded indicating his affirmation.

"Daud is manipulating your decisions. Isn't he?" Salman's piercing gaze went through the brave façade of the older man.

Shams sighed, "Look it is my decision as to who I want the contract with." He tilted his head, "But I agree Daud terms and conditions are very attractive."

Leaning forward on the glossy wooden desk, Salman hissed, "What is he giving you that I am not?"

Shams eyebrow raised, "Partnership. A stake in his company. Do you promise me that? I don't think so."

Rolling the pen on his fingers, trying to come to terms, "And one of his conditions is to leave our contract. Isn't it?"

There was eerie silence. There was no need to give the confirmation. The silence spoke loud and clear.

Salman threw the pen across the table, and settled back on his chair, "I will pay cash for every consignment. I will double my orders. And I will settle for 10% of the shares of the company." Shams eyes widened. Salman lips curled in a satisfying smile. "Of course you know very well what 10% will mean?"

The other man was quiet.

To make his point, Salman said, "Thousands of euros in your pocket with no efforts made."

"I ... I ..." Shams stammered.

Salman's sparkled with triumph, "It's an opportunity of a life time. I give you a week to decide." With that he threw back his chair and strode out of the office without a backward glance.

The game is on, Daud. I will rip you apart now. Then I will see how Nawal marries you.

****

"Seema?" Ghazala spoke uncertainly on the phone.

"Jee Baji." Seema sounded distant.

Ghazala sighed, this would be even more difficult than she thought, "I am sorry. I tried my best but after what Nawal did...." Her voice trailed off.

There was silence on the other side.

"Seema?"

"It's okay baji. I understand we cannot force her. It's a matter of her whole life."

"I wish the events were in my control. But we are helpless in front of our children." Ghazala shoulders slumped as she sank back on the kitchen chair.

"Baji, let's not bring this topic up ever again. This chapter is over. I wish happiness for Nawal."

"Thank you Seema," Ghazla voice lowered in guilt.

"I have to go I will call you later, Baji." Seema said in a hurry and before her elder sister could respond she hung up.

Ghazala knew there will be no call for some time. Seema was really upset. If only, Nawal had listened and agreed, she would have never damaged the relationship with her sister.

The die was cast.

****

"Such an elegant dress, Nawal. I had no idea you bought this last time when you went to Pakistan." Samreen said zipping Nawal's dress. Nawal smoothed her dress from the sides.