Chapter 66

It didn't take long for them to stitch up his wounds. They did have to give him blood since he lost so much. He had a panic attack when he woke up, but they were able to help him calm down.

The doctor told me that they can put him on medicine, but I refused and told them to ask him.

Cain stayed with me as I walked into Alaricas' room. He was laying on the bed with a faraway look in his eyes. When I gently grabbed his hand, he looked at me.

We just stared at each other for a moment before I started crying. He immediately hugged me, saying he was sorry.

"Why?" I asked.

He sighed, "I was just tired of constantly fighting myself. My mind is in chaos, I felt like I was just a burden on everyone. I couldn't take it anymore. I'm so sorry for being a coward."

I sighed and hugged him again, "Don't do that ever again, please? I love you, I don't know what I would do without you."

He nuzzled his face in my neck, "I regret it. I was just so tired..."

"I know, but you have me to help with that. I will always be by your side, no matter what." I murmured.

He studied me for a brief moment before motioning for me to lay with him. I gladly laid beside him and rested my head on his chest. I looked at his one wrist and gently traced my thumb over the bandage.

I then scooted closer and placed a gentle kiss on it. He pulled me even closer and kissed me on the head.

"I see that my chat with him worked."

We both looked up to see a nurse walking in. She smiled warmly at us before checking his vitals.

"Your chat?" I asked.

She chuckled, "I had a long talk with him about his suicide attempt. I told him to think of where this would have left his loved ones. You clearly love him and he needed to be reassured about it. You can blame his parents for most of this."

Alaricas frowned, "Thank you for telling her before I could."

"Oh, stop being stubborn." She grinned.

"He'll be released tomorrow, but will be put on suicide w-

"I can watch over him. He's going to stay by my side." I cut her off, not wanting him to be on that.

Alaricas sighed in relief before yawning and resting his head on the top of mine. The nurse winked at me before walking out, silently closing the door behind her.

I cuddled against my mate and kissed his cheek.

"I, Jolene Flare, take back my rejection." I whispered as I continued kissing his cheek and jawline.

He wrapped his arms around me and held me as if he were cuddling a teddy bear. I relaxed against his body.

"I love you and I promise, I'll make it up to you. I'll be the mate you deserve  and want." He whispered.

I smiled up at him, "You're already the mate I want. Even with your many flaws."

I slept peacefully throughout the night, feeling completely calm, knowing my mate was safe.