Chapter 20: Brother and Sister No Matter What!

I hadn't been home for almost a month, and  had to admit it felt weird staying with Elijah. The only time I had been home since was when Levi brought me to get some clothes and my mom wasn't even home. I sat down at my desk filling in my answeres from my test to my bubble sheet, the teachers had been getting stricter now that the year was close to over. Even Elijah and Jared had been going to their classes and doing their work.

I picked up my test and handed it to the teacher up front before returning to my seat, outside looked enticing and I couldn't wait for the freedom of summer. IT was only March now, and although school ended in the middle of May I felt it was close enough to over for me to celebrate. The cold air was replaced with a warm one, and the snow replaced with green grass and fresh flowers. I took a deep breath staring out the window wondering what all I could do in the summer.

"Raine McGuire to the principle's office, Raine McGuire." My name over the announcments cracked me from my thoughts as everyone's eyes landed on me, even Sunny whom I had been avoiding. I grabbed my bags and walked out trying to hide the scared look on my face. I headed towards the office and flopped down into the waiting area. Everyone seemed so busy, teachers swarmed about like bees searching for the ripest flowers as they sipped their coffees and made copies of assignments.

"Raine McGuire?" The secretary from the desk asked me with a permenant frown glued to her face. Her lips were pressed so hard together I could've sworn she either had 3 or her tongue was slipping out, her long nails pointing at me revealing the filth hidden underneath. I took a deep breath holding my tongue and giving her a simple nod to keep myself tamed. "Principle Johnso will see you now, go on in sweety."

I stepped into the room shocked to see my brother, I mean I knew he had started to come to school more often now that it was mandatory but it still shocked me to see we had both been called. I stepped inside closing the door behind me before moving to take the seat next to my brother. Mr. Johnson was intimidating to me, no matter how bald and old he might be I knew if he said the word I can be held in the same grade without anyone but me giving it a second thought. I took a deep breath and forced a smile onto my face before lightly clearing my throat and cocking my head only slightly to the side.

"Hello Mr. Johnson, you look rather dashing today. How are you?" I smiled innoncently as my brother ran his finger through his dark brown hair acting as if he was just too cool to talk.

"I'm fine Ms. McGuire, but we're not here to talk about me. We're here to talk about you two. Your mother called me this morning asking if both of you were in school, do you have any idea what she brought to my attention when I tols her the attendance stated you were?" He smiled folding his arms in front of him. I lightly pressed my lips together turning the corners up only slightly as my brother squirmed in his seat now paying full attention.

"No sir, but I'm sure you're going to inform me. You will wont you?" I smiled crossing my ankles behind the leg of my chair as Levi sat up straight.

"She said you two hadn't returned home for alittle over 4 weeks now. I'm not going to get involved into your personal issues but I am however going to release you both to the custody of your mother. You are both minors and therefore, as your mother has so delicately pointed out, I am obligated to make sure you both return home with your legal guardian." He sighed leaning back in his seat.

I frowned, I didn't want to go home I was enjoying living with Elijah. We hadn't made love again since the first time, but we still enjoyed each other company. I liked tucking Joey in and reading her books, making sure her hair was combed and she brushed her teeth. I enjoyed cuddling up to Elijah after a long day at school and telling him what was good and what was upsetting me. I liked being able to have Joey help me make dinner while Elijah was practicing, and I didn't want all that to stop and the beatings to start again.