Chapter 23

We spent most of the day on that island. We had another canoe race. Surprise surprise, Wes won again. Kevin came second. However, Eli and Jordan had almost beaten Jan and I this time. Almost. They were getting much better. However, they were still landed with dinner duties. I actually felt so bad for them that Jan and I helped out. This gave Jordan an excuse to back away to leave us girls to have more quality time together. Moreover, I really hoped Wes didn't notice that I was avoiding any alone time with him. I just couldn't pretend to act as normal as he did. I was too scared. I was scared of the effect that he had on me. I was scared for the loss of common sense whenever I was around him. I was scared because the Kitty around him didn't know what she was doing half the time. And above all, I was scared that all this was just trivial to him. Just another girl whose heart he played with.

Eli had demanded we all stayed to watch the sunset before leaving because apparently the view would be absolutely amazing from here. Tyler still hadn't come back and Bridgette had long ago stalked off in a miffed mood. None of us were complaining though. It was all much calmer and smoother without the two around. However, the amusing presence of Ash and Alex was definitely missed.

"It's this way!" Wes pointed to the left of the forked path.

"But this way's quicker," Jordan protested, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Guys, it's definitely this way," Kevin pointed to the middle pathway clearing.

It was way past sunset and we had already packed and headed back to the camp site as the day grew darker and darker. We hadn't even been walking for five minutes until this argument started.

"I just want to get back and sleep," Jan sighed, running a hand through her hair in exasperation.

"Okay, prove that way is quicker!" Wes said defiantly.

"Do you have some disorder where everything's a competition?" I demanded.

"You're on!" Jordan exclaimed, excitement entering his voice.

"Guys, both ways are wrong..." Kevin sighed. "We came through the middle. The others are full of trees."

"Let's split up and race there," Wes suggested, grinning broadly.

"Oh, no," I protested. "We're not splitting up! None of us have our cells to contact each other!"

"And we've already lost four of us," Jan tried to reason with them to no avail.

"Relax," Wes rolled his eyes. "You're in good hands."

"If that's the case, then I'm with Jordan!" I moved over next to Jordan. "I trust him more." Well, maybe it was the fact that I didn't want to be alone with Wes...

"Sorry, he's mine," Eli slyly grinned at me, snaking an arm around Jordan's shoulder. Lucky for him, it was dark and no one could make out the blood that rushed to his face.

I glared at Eli as she smiled at me sweetly.

"You can join me," Kevin smiled at me. I sighed gratefully. But before I could join him, Jan elaborately passed by me, brushing me with half her body to make it obvious. I internally face-palmed myself.

"But you promised to tell me about your little sister!" Jan told Kevin. Her trick definitely worked. My heart fell in horror.

"And we're off!" Wes exclaimed, grabbing my arm and leading me along with him.

"Cheat!" Jordan called, rushing head long into the other side of the forked pathway with Eli.

Kevin and Jan shook their heads in amusement before they too disappeared among the trees and overgrowth.