Hogswagglers Jury

"I knewed it!" Chyna thought as she placed a plat of bacon before Ellison as he talked with Anse. The topic? Floyd's new possibly stolen pig.

Having lived under McCoy territory and in the guardianship of Randal McCoy's sons, Chyna new the pigs notches in it's ears. She left while Ellison was talking and went to fetch the pitcher of Milk to bring to him. "Floyd swears it's his pig" Anse said. At these words Chyna's hand shook as she poured the milk. Ellison glanced at her briefly. "does it matter? It's just a pig." Ellison asked. "yeah well...it's Randal" Anse replied puffing on his pipe. "mister Anderson" Chyna chimed "can I getcha anythin'" she asked. He turned a hard gaze on her and didn't reply. Chyna bowed her head low "I-I'm sorry" she said backing away to exit the kitchen. Ellison grabbed her hand. "its all right Chyna, go check on Cotton and his chores" he said. Chyna nodded and scurried out.

Cotton was near the chicken coop. Chyna made her way over to him lost in thought. She had known very well that Randal hadn't returned from the war right. He was sick. And the Sickness was driving his bitterness for the Hatfields along. "folks forget the eyes of the help see everything" Chyna thought to herself. "hi Chyna!" Cotton called. Chyna gave him a smile in return for the one he gave her and went to help him with his chores.

Latter that morning, Chyna stood patting a cows neck when Ellison came down the hill towards her. "Chyna, I need you to come with me and Cotton to the trial. Just in case, I need someone who take care of Cot" He said. Chyna met his eyes "are you sure? I mean..." she stopped "you'll sit with us, everyone here knows you take care of Cotton" He said. Chyna looked down "thats not what I...." Chyna looked down and to the side. She could see them in her head, Tolbert and Calvin McCoy. But more so Tolbert. And she felt shame and pain all over again. Ellison watched her confused for a moment, as her whole body seemed to sink into itself as if trying to hide anything that might my injured.

Then he remembered. "Chyna" he said sternly he took her chin with his fingers and made her look at him. "they can't hurt you, not with alls of us there" he said. Chyna side glanced. "just think of it as a way to get back at 'em supporting Hatfields in court" He said. Chyna looked back at him and nodded firmly "ok, I'll go get Cotton ready" she said.

The small Virginia Court house was packed full of Hatfields, McCoys and their kin. Chyna sat quietly nextt to Cotton almost fussing too much over him. Trying to seem like she was just doing her job. "you don't have to be scared Chyna" Cotton said with a smile. "My Daddy won't let nothing happen" he added. Chyna nodded. But tried to keep her eyes down. She could feel a gaze on her. Looking around her eyes caught that of William who's eye was stuck on something. Following his gaze, her met the eyes that were locked on her. Tolbert McCoy leered at her darkly.

Voices in the building started to fade, and fear prickled back into Chyna's skin. She sank into her seat. "Chyna?" Cotton asked her but she didn't respond "Chyna?" he asked again, He tapped on Ellison's arm. "yes Cotton?" Ellison asked but as he turned to them he saw the problem. He followed Chyna's eyes and saw Tolbert. Ellison quickly turned back to her "hey, don't look at him" He said but Chyna couldn't bring herself to "hey, hey Chyna look at Cot or Me but don't look at him" Ellison said in a stronger tone. Chyna turned to look up at him. Her oval dark eyes were become wet with growing tears. "good girl" He said "Hi Uncle Wall!" Cotton called as Wall Hatfield the Judge entered in. Ellison turned to face forwards but not without stealing another glance at Tolbert. Narrowing his eyes.

From the back of the room William watched Tolbert throughout the trial. He hated him sure. But now it seemed he hated him all the more with Chyna's arrival.

On the McCoy side, A pair of dark eyes watched Chyna timidly. Calvin McCoy seated next to his brother looked down at his hands shamefully. Remembering the nights Tolbert used to coax him along in doing things to Chyna in the night. Of course he never went much father than touching some sensitive areas. Tolbert did the rest. But even still he never wanted to, he was just following what his brother told him to do. No one disobeyed Tolbert.