Chapter 42 - Excuse you what?

It was Thursday when I returned to school. Lin forced me to stay home on Wednesday, which was a 2 show day, so there was someone doting on me all day. Wednesday a doctor came as well, he told me that I was very lucky to have escaped a concussion, although that's the only front on which I was lucky. I hadn't stood up since what happened, when the doctor came in he had me stand up to check the bruising, right as I did this, I fell. I had felt an insane amount of pain in my ankle earlier, but was preoccupied with the pain in EVERY OTHER PLACE IN MY BODY. They ended up taking me to the doctors office. Nick broke my ankle. I'm not sure when exactly this happened, maybe it was after I was out, but I know it was him. Needless to say, everyone was pissed off when they found out. This was going too far.

I walked into school Thursday on crutches. The only people who knew were Franchesca, Georgia and Josie. I made it over to William slowly, as I had to get through a crowd of people. Before I even made it over one of his friends pointed me out to him, as his back was turned. He turned around and saw me.

"Holy crap!" He ran over to me, "what happened, is this why you weren't in school yesterday? I texted you. Why didn't you respond? Oh my gosh, how did this happen?" He rambled for a second whist walking me over to the table that his friends were seated around.

"It happened on Tuesday, after school, Lin made me stay home yesterday, I also had to see a doctor about it."

"No, what happened, did you fall?" They couldn't see the bruises that completely covered my torso, they had no idea of the severity.

"You could say that." I said, not wanting to share with the whole group. They talked for five or six minutes until the bell rang, I grabbed my crutches and stood up to go to Spanish, William helped me up.

"You're going to tell me what really happened later right?"

"Sure." I smiled a little and went to Spanish.

The day was going by normally, people were asking questions, but I just told everyone that I fell. About 20 minutes into biology however, I was called down to the office. I crutched myself down to the office, and groaned a little seeing Lin sitting in Mr. Shrums office. I looked inside through the glass window and Mr. Shrum montioned for me to come in. I came in and sat down. There were 3 chairs across from the principals desk, Lin in the center, I sat in the one on his right.

"Sorry to pull you out of class, but we wanted to clear a few things up, first, how exactly did you break your ankle?" He asked motioning towards my left foot, which was in a cast.

"Nick Walter." I replied softly.

"So, your story is that Nick, your old foster brother, just broke your ankle." He clarified, a touch of sarcasm in his voice, like he didn't believe me.

"Yeah, that's what happened, Tuesday after school."

"Where?" He asked placing his hands on his desk, clasped, looking at me.

"Somewhere in the back of the school, outside."

"How fortunate that this happened in one of the only places on campus without security cameras." He said, lifting his eyebrows, "I've covered the security footage from yesterday." He clarified.

"It was against the wall of the school, by Mr. Carlsons math classroom." I said.

He laughed a little and rolled his eyes, "Yep, no cameras along that back wall, how fortunate."

"Excuse me," Lin joined the conversation, "what do you mean, 'how fortunate'?"

"I just think she may have known that that was a security blindspot."