Chapter One

You were deep undercover when you first met Dr. Spencer Reid. You had been an original member of a year long covert operation, trying to ingrain yourself into a child pornography ring that auctioned, tortured, and defiled the innocence of children on the Dark Net. The FBI hand selected you for this mission, deeming you as someone that had a good chance at helping the government understand and combat the deep webs. You had devoted yourself, mind and body, to helping these children; intertwining yourself into the ring and slowly working your way up the ranks and into the good graces of those in power. When you had first joined on, you had undergone extensive training and had essentially created an entirely new persona for yourself, truly becoming this woman who was a serious player in such a horrible realm of the world.

It was draining. You felt emotionally exhausted and were often wracked with nightmares and felt ill every time you had to "help" organize another auction, another video, another post. You had also strained your mind, forcing yourself to commit every detail of each child and member of the ring that you came into contact with to memory. You couldn't take the chance of being discovered due to physical notes you had taken. In this ring, leaks were brutally murdered and were displayed to others as a warning. You could not become the next cautionary tale.

Which was why you were taken aback when you were contacted by the FBI.

You were told that the bureau needed to act now, that your role as an undercover agent was about to come to its climax and serve its purpose in shutting down the ring you had infiltrated twelve months ago. At first, upon hearing this news, you felt helpless; completely out of control of a situation that you had worked so hard to become a power figure in. You could not afford to blow your cover if you could not take down the entire ring in one fatal swoop. You would be found, even if only one person was left out. But, this was not your main concern; your main concern was all the children that you had kept meticulous tabs on and whose safety relied on the trust that the ring had for you. If the FBI made a partial bust, these children would be lost forever. You couldn't live with that, so failure was not an option.

The week's notice you were given suffocated you for these reasons. Your anxiety grew with every passing minute as you carefully probed to discover the locations of the ring members. One day out from the bust, you summoned much of the ring to an abandoned warehouse that in a few hours would become a rendezvous point for the bust. There was only one man that you could not locate, one of the two heads of the ring; he was the only person you had never came into direct contact with and it gave you a horrible feeling.

In the warehouse, you divulged to the ring that you would be hosting a large online child auction in only six hours. You asked the members to submit the profiles of the children they had in captivity to you along with a photo so that you could begin uploading the information to the Dark Web and start the countdown.

As you began to set up a faux auction link and collect the children's profiles, you looked at your computer's clock: thirty minutes to midnight, the agreed upon bust time. You felt your breath hitch in your throat as a knock came at the warehouse backdoor twenty minutes early.

You stood to answer the door, weapon drawn so as to show the ring that you were still in authority and had a vested interest in protecting the success of the auction. You waited to hear the tell-tale knock that only ring members knew, and it came. You tried to remember if the bureau had said anything about sending in an agent to scope out the scene first, but could not.

With all eyes on you, you were forced to open the door after the completion of the unique knock. You swung the door open on its hinges, having to move its concrete form with your entire body. In front of you stood a man of lean build, roughly 6 feet tall, with messy brown hair and kind eyes. His eyes told you that he was not a member of the ring. However, you had to stay in character; you told him that you were in charge of the auction and eyed him carefully as he followed you back into the midst of the warehouse. He introduced himself to the others as being sent by the ring leader to deliver a 'special' child for the auction.

You watched as this man assessed the situation, and recognized what he was doing as he smoothly moved his hand to his ear, discreetly activating the ear piece he wore.