10

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Aubree asked as she crossed her arms and sighed heavily, sitting on the edge of my bed.

"Yeah, he doesn't seem like a bad person," I answered with a shrug. "Maybe you don't know who he really is."

"He's also bad news, T," Aubree replied, closing her eyes and taking deep breaths.

I shrugged nonchalantly.

It was a Saturday morning and I had agreed to hang out with Derek for the day. Crazy, right? But for the past few days of talking to each other on Facebook, he actually seemed like a really nice person and so he had the nerve to ask me if we could hang out on Saturday. I had to list the pros and cons of hanging out with Derek yet nothing showed up on my con list so I had accepted his offer within minutes. I also haven't heard from Xavier at all which for the first time, I didn't mind. My conversations with Derek actually made me smile and it felt as if a big weight had been lifted off my shoulders. It really did.

So now, I was in my room standing in front of the full-length mirror and staring back at my reflection. I decided to go with a black singlet with a white jacket on top, rolled up to my elbows with faded, ripped blue jeans. I matched the outfit with nude pink stilettos which actually looked really good. Aubree had offered to take me to the mall where Derek and I planned to meet.

"Wait," Aubree said, quickly getting off the bed and made sure my straight hair was untangled. "We're good to go."

I smiled at Aubree and quickly grabbed a black Michael Kors handbag that Anastasia had left on my bed the previous night as a gift. I placed my wallet and my phone inside before looking in the mirror once more then followed Aubree out of the room. We both walked downstairs as we were met by my dad and Anastasia, on the sofa in the living room and watching some romantic movie which had me smiling in awe.

"Thea and I are heading out!" Aubree exclaimed standing by the front door as both Anastasia and my dad's head whipped around in our direction, paused the movie then scrambled off the couch and into our direction. "Oh well, you didn't have to see us head out the door."

My dad shook his head and took out his wallet, taking out a hundred-dollar bill for Aubree and I both. I accepted the money and looked at it, shocked that my dad will give me this much. Anastasia grabbed her purse from the counter, took out her pink wallet and also handed Aubree and I both hundred-dollar bills that had me widen my eyes even more.

I was about to give them both back their money but Anastasia stopped me from doing so. "Treat yourselves, you deserve it."

I haven't been treating Anastasia like she was my mom yet but I threw my arms around her, hugging her tightly. "Thank you."

I moved on towards my dad and kissed his cheek before taking a few steps back. "Thank you, I'll spend it wisely."

My dad and Anastasia both chuckled as they watched Aubree and I walk out the door and towards Aubree's red Porsche parked on the side of the street, wondering what had happened to her Mercedes. White clouds were hogging the blue sky and birds were chirping on the trees as if telling me today was going to be a good day.

~

~

It took us fifteen minutes to reach the mall since Aubree had to fill up her petrol tank. Once Aubree found a parking space, she clicked a button and the car started parking itself automatically whilst Aubree grabbed her handbag and started checking if everything she needed was inside. Once the car was done parking, she took out her keys from the ignition and started getting out of the car, which I had done the same as she quickly locked her car.