8. agitation and details

Monica,

I still have that lingerie, and I still haven't worn it. Aren't I boring? My love life is almost as exciting as going to brunch with your mom.

Speaking of your mom, my mom was on the phone with her the other day. It was all 'You should just see how much weight Chloe has lost, her legs are practically twigs! I swear her dad didn't even feed her all summer! And still no boyfriend! Bad attitude! Yada yada yada'.

I'm wondering what your mom said about you.

Miss you,

Chlo

The cramped toilet stall I'd spent my morning free period in had upgraded to a deserted aisle of the library for lunch

The cramped toilet stall I'd spent my morning free period in had upgraded to a deserted aisle of the library for lunch. Obeying William's instructions, I'd avoided the cafeteria all together, instead plonking onto one of the leather beanbags that dotted the third floor.

My eyes wandered over the titles of the books stacked in the shelves around me. I'd chosen to sit beside the mystery section, which was fitting considering all the digging I'd been doing around people recently. I pulled down the title nearest to be and opened up to an arbitrary page.

My classes had bored me all morning, and the people in them even more so. I wasn't close with any of them. Being the quietest in the class, I went by unnoticed.

When Monica was at Arlington, we were inseparable, and constantly talking or joking around together even in the most inappropriate of moments. When we'd had classes together the teachers had never been able to shut us up, and when we were on our own we were completely silent.

Mon grew out of that when we hit junior year, branching out and getting to know people and joining clubs around the school. I'd taken the 'nerdy' classes which mostly consisted of boys, and had never brought myself to form relationships with any of my peers, save for Jack, who I'd met through Monica anyway.

The first week had been unbearably lonely without Monica, and it made my heart lurch to think about her absence. That was why I needed distractions, and company, which was revealing itself perfectly in the form of my list. I needed to turn up the action, so it was a good thing William had a plan.

I pulled my lips into a knowing smile when his shadow crept over the pages of the novel in my hand, pushing it shut and placing it back in its position in the shelf.

"Good afternoon," I said.

Will didn't reply as he lowered himself onto the beanbag beside me. He looked tense, which instantly sparked my alertness.

"I've drawn suspicion alright," he said. "I was lucky to get away without the guys following me."

"That's a good thing, though, right?" I asked.