Chapter Thirteen: Carter

It was a week since the 'incident' with Carter in the training fields. Arthur no longer allowed me to accompany him. He said he feared I would be hurt by someone, but I overheard him talking with his manservant, Merlin, that he suspected Carter of attempted to court me.

"Merlin, I just don't trust him around her" Said Arthur, I passed by his bedroom door and slowly back tracked, lifting an ear to the door.

"They've been friends for a while, Arthur, he is no threat to you, besides, her love rests with you, not he." Assured Merlin, I knew he wore a goofy smile, he always did.

"I know, Merlin, I know! I just...I see the longing way he looks at her, Merlin, I looked at her that way. Merlin, he'll try to corrupt her, I know it. I'm never going to really let him see her, not if it's in my power." Returned Arthur with a sigh, Merlin or Arthur began to tap their foot upon the stone floor impatiently, I figured it was Arthur.

"Arthur, you cannot restrict someone from seeing another person, especially if you want to do it secretly. Percyla is an intelligent girl, Arthur, she'll figure something's up and in the end she'll be angry with you. Women don't like that, Arthur, not at all." Merlin said in a hushed tone, Arthur sighed angrily.

"Well, I'll just maneuver her away from him, and if she asks..." Arthur sighed "I'll tell her...she might be angry...but it will be for the better. But, in the meantime, this conversation is never to pass your lips again, save when I ask you about it or I'll have your head, got it? Good, now, I'm a bit famished, and fetch Percyla, go now, Merlin." I silently gasped and ran quietly around a corner, sprinting down a corridor and making it to the kitchen before Merlin could see me, I was gasping and my face was flushed by the time I reached Celest, who was kneading and beating dough.

"Hello, my lady! Say, why are you so out of breath?" Asked Celest in her jovial tone, I smiled at her and sat down across from her, regaining my breath.

"Call me Percyla, Celest, please. I was...running, that's why. Do you have something I could snack on? Ah, thank you, Celest." Said I as Celest handed me a knife and a freshly baked loaf of bread, with butter.

I wolfed down three pieces and was on my third and in walked Merlin, he smiled and asked Celest for a platter of food for Arthur, Celest smiled, nodded and turned around to prepare a snack plate. My mouth was full when Merlin turned to me, he looked at me for a moment and then burst into a fit of laughter, in turn, this made me start to giggle as I swallowed my snack. After my mouth was empty, we looked at each other again, and started laughing once more, unable to hold in our giggles. Now, Celest began to laugh and for a moment, there was bliss. "There you are, Master Merlin" Celest said, handing the platter over to Merlin, he smiled and thanked her, then he turned to me again.

"He calls for you, my lady" Said he, I smiled.

"Call me Percyla, Master Merlin, you and Celest are too much of friends to call me 'my lady'" Said I "Oh, and Guinevere too" I added, Merlin smiled and offered his arm, I took his arm and in the other I held my fourth piece of bread, which I ate as we walked down the corridor I had previously sprinted down. A few moments later and Merlin and I were in front of Arthur's looming oaken doors.

Arthur was sat at his desk, writing with a white quill pen on a piece of brown parchment. A stained glass window depicting a knighthood sat behind him, and through that flowed sunlight which shined off of his hair and gave him a humble glow. He glanced up and a smile spread across his face, he sat up and Merlin placed the platter on his desk whilst I stood beside Arthur's bed, Merlin walked beside me and waited for further orders. Arthur waved his hand "you can go, Merlin" Merlin nodded and left, shutting the door behind him, I turned to Arthur and walked over to him, sitting on his lap. "It seems that I have won the tournament dear, a great feast shall take place to-night, I will accompany you, whilst Carter accompanies Morgana, good?"