Chapter 2: Show Time

"So, have you met anyone cool yet?"

"Not really," I sulked, in response to the only friend I had made in the States. Her name was Holly and she was sent by the University to show me around on my first day. We had quickly bonded from our shared love of rock music and playing guitar. She was originally from New Jersey, but had moved to New York to study music at NYU. We were sat in my dorm room at University Hall.

"Oh c'mon," she laughed in her strong American accent. "You gotta have met at least a few people!"

"Actually, I met a boy in my class yesterday," I said with a small giggle. "He wasn't in my class actually I was in the wrong class- but he invited me to watch his band play tonight!"

"Ooooh who was it?!" she gasped, sitting upright on my bed and bouncing up and down excitably.

"I don't know his name," I pouted. "But he was cute."

"Describe him!"

"He had messy black hair, green eyes, skinny, not too tall, but kinda tall-"

"Oh my god you're into Gerard!" she squealed.

"You know him?!" I asked, blushing slightly.

"Oh my god," she repeated, rolling onto her back and giggling loudly. "I can't believe anyone actually fancies Gerard!"

"What's wrong with him?!" I said, laughing slightly as it was impossible not to as she was giggling so much.

"Nothing," she said, sitting upright. "Gerard and I went to the same high school in Jersey! He was in my class but nobody ever spoke to him. It was kinda weird when he came to NYU because I thought he was just gonna stay in Jersey."

"What was he like?" I asked curiously.

"Just...weird you know? I mean I didn't think he was weird- I liked the same stuff that he was into. But he was more into like comics and stuff, and I hung out with people who thought he was weird so I never really spoke to him. I heard he's just super awkward around people."

"Really? He seemed really nice to me," I said with a little smile. "Do you wanna go see his band?"

"Well, I was gonna meet with Sophia tonight but I could invite her along!" she smiled.

I had originally decided not to go to see Gerard's band because I was too embarrassed to turn up alone- but now that Holly was going I thought it would give me a chane to prove that I had some friends. We got ready together, throwing on dark clothes and heavy make-up in an attempt to fit in with the crowd. According to Holly, Gerard would be into this kind of style. 

We arrived at the bar and I immediately realised how grimy it was. But it was in such a cool way- the walls were covered in posters of rock bands that I had never heard of and writing scrawled on it from various people who had been there and played there. Each table was lit by a single candle which was the only source of light, making it dingy and difficult to see anything. It was hardly busy- there were probably around fourteen people sat around. At the front of the room some instruments were set up, but it was barely a stage. 

"Hey!"

I turned around and in walked a gorgeous girl about my age. She had gorgeous big curls in her brunette hair, wide green eyes and a pristine smile made up of straight bright white teeth. She was wearing a cute outfit consisting of a plain white t-shirt with some short denim dungarees over the top.

"Isabel, this is Sophia," Holly said excitably.

"Hey, nice to meet you," I smiled nervously, thinking about how she seemed so much cooler than me. There was no way that I could seduce any guy with her around, because nobody would go for me if they were looking at her!

"Oh my god, you're British!" she smiled. "I have ALWAYS wanted a British friend!"

I felt relieved to learn that she was friendly, as most gorgeous British girls would have been slightly rude to somebody as 'different' looking as myself. I was pretty enough, but I dressed differently, and my hair was dyed jet black. Holly, Sophia and I ordered a round of drinks and sat by the table getting to know each other.

"Isabel is into Gerard Way," Holly sniggered at Sophia.

"No...fucking...way!" she laughed, looking at me in shock. "Gerard Way?! He's such a geek!"

"I'm not into him," I laughed. "I don't know him!"

"Well...here's your chance," Sophia whispered, nodding at the front of the room. Gerard was there, stood with a microphone in his hand. He looked nervous, and so much cuter than I remembered from yesterday.

"Ohh he's sooo cute," I whispered, but the other two heard it and laughed at me.

"Awww this is so adorable," Holly beamed. "I want you to get together so much!"

We watched Gerard perform while Holly and Sophia teased me and cheered so loudly that I kept hiding myself from Gerard's view. Due to the dim lighting in the venue, it was easy for me to hide. However at the same time I kind of wanted him to see that I was there.

After he finished performing (he was a good singer but he definitely needed practise!) I saw him walking around the tables and thanking everybody for watching. As he approached our table, I quickly pretended to be busy using my mobile phone.

"Hey Holly," he said, nodding at Holly. "Hey Sophia."

"Hey," they both said in unison with cheesy grins spread across their faces.

"Hey new girl!" he said, noticing me sat with my head down. "You came!"

"Yeah," I said with a weak smile. "You were really good!"

"Not exactly Morrissey but I'm going for a different vibe," he joked. "Anyway, see you around."

He walked away and I felt a rush of relief wash over me.

"He is so into you!" Holly squealed. 

"He's not," I laughed. "He's just being nice- he doesn't even know my name!"

"He will," Sophia winked. "I've known Gerard for years. I know exactly how to talk a girl up to somebody."

I froze as she stood up and sauntered over in Gerard's direction. I saw her chatting to him and then I saw him look over at me with a confused look on his face. What was she saying to him?! Whatever she was saying, I could tell it was about me, and I didn't like it one bit.