Chapter Twenty One

(Sara’s P.O.V)

My brain was in overload. Why the hell would my father keep this from me? From my mother? Well I know she would have killed him for cheating on her, and bearing a son from another woman. I on the other hand would have been disappointed, yet ecstatic about having a brother. I always wanted that picture perfect family, with a mom and dad growing old together and a sibling I could play with and have there to comfort me; just someone who would generally be there for me when times like these get hard.

I guess these thoughts only exist in fairy tales.

I got up and walked over to the wide living room windows. The view in Hayden’s apartment was breath taking, just like its owner. You could see the tree tops of the park below. Kids were running around playing with their bikes. It was comforting to see that the world had some innocence still left in it. My thoughts returned to Hayden, I was falling in love with him so fast it was scaring me. I’ve always dreamed of the two of us being together, sharing a home and building a family together; but I never dreamed it would be because of these circumstances.

On the other hand, I never thought I would have a murderer after me. Life is very unfair sometimes.

Knock knock 

I whipped my head around and just stared at the door. I heard the sound again and inched my way slowly towards it. I gulped as I pressed my eye throw the peephole, I let out a sight of relief as I saw Tony’s cheerful smile.

“Tony, what a pleasant surprise.” I greeted opening the door for him.

“Hey, I hope this isn’t a bad time?” he asked sheepishly.

“No, come on in.” I waved him through and closed the door behind him. I watched as he pulled out a folder from his leather carrier bag. “What’s up?”

“Well, I found these files on your desk marked urgently and I thought you would want to take care of them as soon as possible.” He handed me a thick file of paper work from one of my clients. “I know this isn’t the best of times, but…”

Knock knock

We both glanced at the door before turning our gazes back to each other.

“Were you expecting someone?” Tony’s voice grew harder and his gaze sharpened as he glanced at the door again.

“I…I think it’s detective Garwood, he’s here with some follow up questions and other details about my father’s case.” I gave him a tight smile as I went to open the door.

Detective Garwood was casually leaning against the doorframe, flipping through his phone, when I opened the door.

“Hello Miss. Overstreet, sorry I’m late. But you know how the traffic is here.” He smiled and marched into the apartment like he owned the place.

“Umm… no it’s fine. Come in?” well, just make yourself at home.

“Is there someone here?” he asked suspiciously as he heard the coffeemaker turn on.

“Yeah, my assistant Tony’s making coffee.” I clapped my hands in front of me and waited for him to return his gaze to me. “So anything new?”

“Well nothing on the car from the other day, no license plate, not even the model of the car. This guy, whoever he is, he’s good. He’s covering his tracks like a pro, my guess he’s ex-military or something.” Yup, the good news just keeps on coming. “I also talked to your uncle Base today and found out about…”

“My brother…” I completed as I gave him a tight smile.

“Yeah, that must have been a shocker for you…” we both lapsed into an awkward silence.  “anyways I managed to pull up a photo of this Andrew character from his high school year book, he probably looks a lot different now.” detective Garwood stepped forward and handed me a picture of a boy about eighteen years-old with blond highlighted hair. He had this dark look to him and his eyes were cold. But what really shocked me was the simple fact that my little step- Brother Andrew was my nicely dressed assistant Tony.

“Oh my god…” I whispered as I kept my gaze on the old photograph. My brain couldn’t process what was happening, Andrew’s Tony, or to be more accurately Tony is Andrew.

“What’s wrong?” detective Garwood asked as he stepped closer, I barely had the time to glance at him when a soft pop sounded and I saw pain flash into detective Garwood’s eyes. I turned my gaze to the man standing behind him with a gun in his hand.

I couldn’t speak, I couldn’t think. I just watched the man, who was my only safety net; fall to the ground clutching his heart. Blood seeped from his body to the hardwood floor, I watched as he took one final breath and then he was gone. His eyes drifted down and he released his final breath. I looked up, fear paralyzing me. I stared into the eyes of that same boy in the picture. Those ice cold eyes.

“Sorry about your friend there, but I couldn’t really let him ruin this for me.” He shrugged as he took a step closer and pushed detective Garwood’s now cold body with the tip of his shoe. “What an idiot, first rule in the police academy “always have a vest on”” he quoted as he turned back to me.

“Why?” I whispered not daring to say another thing.

“Why what? Why would I poison my own father?” he said in a harsh tone as he took another step closer, counting his speech “why would I try so hard to kill you? The only family I have left.” He chuckled as he took another step towards me, I tried to move backwards but my legs were glued to the ground. “It’s simple really…” he glared at me, before counting “I despised you. Your father threw me away as a child, he didn’t spend a dime on me, and he treated me as if I were trash. Even when my mother got sick he never once called to ask how she was doing. I had to learn the hard way how cruel life can be.” I could see the hurt in his eyes.

The pain of having your father be the one to treat you as an outsider was there in him. I mean he let him down and Andrew had every right to be angry with him, still… “Why did you kill him? Why would you take it to that level?” I asked growing a little bolder.

“Because he killed my mother and me. We barley lived. The only reason I survived was because of the army. I mean where else would I go? At eighteen they were my only option. Don’t get me wrong I learned a lot, but I realized that I could put my training to go use here.” He stated with great grief.

I gulped before asking the dreaded question. “And why do you want to kill me so badly. I never even knew about you?” I balled my fists, trying to keep them from shaking.

“You had what should have been mine. You had a perfect life, with perfect parents with a perfect home. That should have been mine…” that answer terrified me, because I knew what would come next.

I watched as my so-called-brother take the last step towards me, hate and resentment glowed in his eyes. I could only guess what will come next.

______________________________________________________

I'm really really really sorry for no posting. I've just been having a mid-life crises at 20 :/

Anyways tell me what you think , do you like it or do you hate it so far >_< I have issues.

Commet, Vote, fan if you like :D