Epilogue

How do you start over?

This was something she had pondered long after the ceremony. Because it was suddenly clear that starting over was necessary in many of the places in her life.

She had been sitting in the car with him one evening when a thought came to her. "Your jacket," she started. "You always have it with you. What is it that makes it so special to you?"

He gave her a sideways glance. "What do you think?" he finally said.

"Maroon symbolizes strength, and passion, and a will to survive," she said. "I looked it up."

His mouth curved up into a little smile. "Did you?"

She waited, but he didn't say anything else. "Well?"

He let out a laugh, reaching over to take her hand in his. "Well, it was given to me after I enlisted. Supposedly it was a good luck charm. I started doubting that after I got home."

Looking at him curiously, she furrowed her eyebrows. "Did it work?"

He pulled up to the stoplight, turning to look at her fully. His grey eyes appeared almost silver in the fading light, and he placed a kiss on the back of her hand. "Yes. It worked."

So, how do you start over?

You release the things you've been holding so tightly to your soul, and you start to remember new things.