Chapter Ten

Two weeks passed before Phil could even blink. Dahlia Academy was filled with a certain thrill that filled the dining halls and classrooms like fast-growing sparks. The dance was being held on Friday night after classes, when the sun was lowering on the horizon and the moon was beginning to show.

Apparently the formal was much more like a high school prom, rather than just a casual dance. The boys got to wear button-up shirts, ties, and black pants, while the girls wore pretty dresses that showed off their toned legs and body shape. To top it off, each person was wearing a mask that somewhat covered their identities.

Phil was personally wearing a light blue button up that made his eyes seem brighter than they actually were, along with a black bowtie, and black pants that were tighter than they probably should be. His mask was white, rather plain, but had little pearls and flower designs around the edges.

He felt confident, nearly vibrating with the thrill of going to his first dance at Dahlia Academy. He decided to leave his water bottle behind today, instead replacing it with the ability stone that he kept inside his pocket. He rubbed it when he was nervous, like he was now, and wondered why Dan had even given it to him in the first place if he didn't like him.

A knock on his door brought him out of his state of confusion, leading his attention away from the stone in his pocket and towards where his door was opening, revealing Peej. At the sight of him, Phil's jaw almost dropped. He looked absolutely stunning, the forest green dress shirt bringing out the emerald in his eyes that was visible through his own white mask. The white mask was decorated with thin black swirls that resembled an ivy plant, and he was wearing a black bowtie identical to Phil's own.

"You look amazing," they both said at the same time, laughing when they'd realized what had happened.

Phil smiled at his friend as PJ held out his arm, allowing Phil to loop his hand around his forearm. He felt as if they were heading to a fancy ball instead of a school dance. They made their way through the halls, arm-in-arm, ignoring Chris as he made wolf whistles their way.

Obviously, Chris didn't know anything. They were just friends, nothing more.

When the reached the dance hall, Phil had to stop and stare in complete and utter awe. There was snow falling from the ceiling despite the fact that there were no machines to generate it or a drop of temperature, melting a few inches before it reached the floor. If Phil had to guess, he would say it was a contraction made from the technical class, or someone with a snow ability. In the middle of the room was a giant christmas tree, one way bigger than Phil had ever seen. There were presents - actual presents - hanging off the branches, and students were climbing the tree to sit on the branches, legs dangling off as they chattered to their friends.

Phil glanced around, noting the snowflake ice sculpture by the side of the room that had cans of soda cooling off under it. There were also little snacks in a holiday theme on the same table, along with a menorah, two of the candles lit, the one in the middle, and one all the way to the right.

Ah, Phil remembers, it's the first day of hanukkah. He was glad that the academy was inclusive towards different religions, the fact making him smile a bit.

There were other winter-y decorations floating around as well - a wreathe here, the star of David there - but it was all too much to take in and PJ was pulling him into the hall by the arm, looking back at him with a fond smile. "Amazing, isn't it?" He asked. There was music in the background, but Phil was too distracted to notice what was playing. "They go all out like this every year and the newcomers are always pleasantly surprised."

Phil nodded, grinning at the brunette. "It's beautiful," he breathed, accepting Peej's arm as he held it out to him. He led Phil to the snack table, where Phil stared in complete awe at the little finger foods. One with three berries - two raspberries and a blackberry - on top caught his attention, snatching it up and unwrapping it. Upon closer inspection, he realized that it was a layer of pastry on the bottom with a thin line of white and milk chocolate, little swirls of raspberry in the middle.