Chapter XII

Cold, wet leaves squelched under our feet as Rowan and I trudged through the forest. I shivered as the icy wind blew against my face and I felt my face flush with the cold. I glanced up at Rowan’s facial expression. A stern frown was evident on his face, making me dread this talk even more. We stopped when we were far enough from the house so that no one could hear the conversation that we were about to have.

Rowan looked down at me. “Can you tell me why Marble burst into my study and told me that you and I should get married?”

I flinched at his harsh tone and looked down at my feet. “I’m sorry,” I apologised, looking up. “I didn’t say anything like that. I just - ”

“Someone had to have influenced him.” Rowan said, cutting me off in mid-sentence.

Looking back down at my feet, I sighed to myself. I had to tell him. It was now or never. “You really don’t feel it?” I asked softly, glancing upwards again. “It’s been bugging me since before Raven died. I can’t help but feel this force pushing me towards you.” I smiled sadly. “It sounds stupid, and I’m not really sure, but maybe we could be mates.” I quickly shut my mouth and awaited his answer.

When Rowan didn’t say anything, I peered up at him. He was staring down at me with an unreadable emotion in his eyes.

“Alpha?” I asked, getting his attention.

Rowan shook his head. “No,” he said. “Don’t call me that.”

I frowned in confusion. “Then what should I call you?” I asked. Did he not want me in the pack anymore? Did he not want to be my alpha anymore?

“Well,” Rowan smiled at me. “If you’re my mate, you should call me by my first name, right?”

My eyes grew wide and I beamed. “Really? You’re serious?”

Rowan nodded. “That attraction you’re talking about,” he said. “I sometimes feel it too.” He ran his fingers through his hair. “When you were with that other guy - the Golden Eye beta - I just couldn’t help but feel so...” he trailed off.

“Angry?” I finished for him. I slowly extended my arms and let him pull me close to his chest in a hug.

“Jay?” he said.

“Hm?” I asked, looking up.

Rowan leaned forward until our lips touched. He pulled me closer to his body as my arms wrapped tighter around his neck. Rowan’s tongue darted out from his mouth and slid over my bottom lip, causing me to slowly open my mouth and let him in.

Before things got too heated, I pulled away and rested my head on his shoulder. “So much better than the first time,” I mused to myself, and Rowan mumbled in agreement.

The two of us walked back to the house, Rowan’s hand comfortably resting on my waist. And, for the first time in what seemed like forever, things felt perfect.

~~~*~~~

“Cold?” Rowan asked, probably feeling me shiver next to him as a draft went through the house.

“Just a little,” I replied, edging closer to him.

Rowan smiled and placed a kiss on my forehead.

A knock sounded at the door and we looked at each other. The pack wasn’t expecting visitors, so this guest came as a surprise to us.

Rowan stood up and went to the door, opening it and frowning when he saw who was on the other side.

Cole stepped through into the house, followed by a bruised and guilty-looking Perry. He looked around the room for a moment until his eyes landed on me. “Well ,well,” Cole smiled sadistically. “Here’s the little thief.”

Rowan stepped in front of me. “Jay hasn’t stolen anything,” he said, defending me.

My brother laughed. “The fact that you call him ‘Jay’ is enough proof that he has stolen important documents from my study.” Cole grabbed my arm and pulled me out from behind Rowan. “So, I’ll be taking him back to my pack and we’ll deal with him there.”

I started to shake as Rowan grabbed my other arm and pulled me back. “You’re not taking him anywhere.” He growled.

Coles clicked his tongue and his eyes blazed with fury. Immediately, I knew that Rowan would be in danger if I stayed.

“Rowan,” I said. “Let them take me.”

His face looked confused as his grip grew tighter. “Why on earth would I do that?” He smiled sadly.

I frowned. “Don’t be stubborn,” I said softly. “Me leaving for a while is better than you getting into a fight with my brother. I’d hate it if you got injured.”

Rowan nodded. “Is it better?” He leaned his forehead against mine. “Besides, I could hold my own against him” He shot a glare at Cole.

I shook my head and directed his line of sight back to me. “I’m not risking it.” I stood on my toes and pecked his cheek. “I’ll be back soon.” I said, feeling the cold air as Rowan let my wrist go.

“Disgusting,” Cole spat when we were outside the house.

I said nothing, choosing to ignore him for now. I looked back at Rowan, who was standing in the doorway and watching us go.

“Are you ignoring me, Runt?” Cole hit me in the side, knocking the wind out of me momentarily. He was purposely trying to make Rowan angry.

Wincing, I soothingly rubbed my hip, looking at Rowan and shaking my head. He had to restrain himself.

“Sorry,” I apologised to Cole and followed him and Perry into the forest. The three of us shifted and ran through the woods. I spent the run dreading what would happen when we reached the Red Wing house.