Chapter 10: Star-Crossed Lovers

Sample Only

Published on Amazon as ebook or paperback.

Walking Among Vampires by K. A. Young.

If you don't have a Kindle and can't purchase the book off Amazon, you are more than welcome to join my Patreon page and receive downloadable PDFs under the Beta Tier.

Please click on the link on my bio.

https://www.patreon.com/SerenityR0se

Nova

"It's absolutely gorgeous," my footsteps had stopped, the large room of Korbyn's library swallowing me. I felt so insignificant standing amongst the large and sturdy bookcases, my eyes drifting from each section he had organized. I just couldn't believe he had all of these books. Something so rare, and here he appeared to have the world's largest collection.

The beautiful white marble floor echoed the soles of my flats as I moved further into the room, Korbyn shutting the door solidly behind him. My brown hair whipped about my shoulders, my head turning in every which way. I just couldn't absorb it all in at once. The dark leather couches and reading chairs lined a few of the walls and mostly collected near the center of the room. Korbyn walked around the walls of the room, his hands holding the large drapes as he pulled them back from the windows, the sun already setting past the tops of the large trees.

"I thought you might enjoy this," his voice was soft, his strides continuing around the outskirts of the room. He came to an antique fire place, gathering a few pieces of the wood that was stashed in a carrier next to it. In a few quick movements, he had added the wood to the fire and had ignited it with a match, the sparks catching fire while the flames slowly came to life. The flames licked the air, growing larger as it devoured the air around it.

The warmth slowly began to fill the cool room, my hands had unconsciously crossed my body and the hoodie I wore held little warmth, holding my upper arms as I shivered. Although, the comfort I received from it reminded me of my parents and kept me at ease in this strange home. The knee length black skirt swayed as I walked over to one of the bookcases, reaching my right hand out and touching the spines of a few books with my fingertips.

"Nova?" Korbyn's voice brought me out of my wonder, my eyes drifting away from the books. My attention was brought to the vampire prince, leaning against the bookcase to my right. He held in his hands, a really old looking book.

The interest sparked in my eyes, moving away from the books and standing in front of him, my eyes lifting from the book and then locking with his hypnotic sapphire eyes.

"What's that?" I asked, trying to get a better view of the cover.

He smiled at my question, "It's a tragic love story of two star-crossed lovers."

I didn't quite understand what he meant, "Lovers?" I asked, unsure of the very meaning of the word. If it's a term rooted from love, then maybe the people in the book were like my parents?

Korbyn shook his head, "Two people whose love could never be, for their families were divided."

"Oh," I replied. So they were kind of like my parents. Lovers must mean two people who are in love and are together. I mentally slapped myself as I didn't want to ask Korbyn another stupid question that I should have known the answer to. It would just be more embarrassing; then I would have heat rise in my cheeks and he'd give me that look.

"I know you said that you know very little of reading and writing," Korbyn stated, reminding me of how much I knew, "I'll assume then you don't know how to read Shakespeare. If you'd like, I'd like to read some of this story to you."