Chapter 3: Party

Walking down the hallway, I glanced to the door to the left of me. It was Gerard's lecture that I had met him in last week. I could see that people were slowly making their way into the lecture, but I carried on walking. I headed into my own lecture- Postwar America since 1945. Of course it sounded boring- it is boring! But I enjoyed History. I enjoyed learning about how the world came to be the way it is now- no matter how geeky that sounds!

I walked into my own lecture theatre and endured a solid two hours of note-taking and trying to stay focused. As much as I enjoyed History, I was still low on concentration levels. When the lecture was halfway through we were granted a five minute break and I rushed outside to get a coffee from the on-site cafe. I got my coffee and paid for it, and as I turned around to go back to class I saw Gerard stood there talking to somebody. I couldn't see who it was because they were hidden behind the wall but I could see Gerard. Today he was wearing a long-sleeved top which was white with black sleeves, and his usual skinny black jeans. I thought that I would be brave and go and speak to him. Confidence is attractive after all, right?

I walked slowly closer to where he was stood, trying to catch a glimpse of who he was talking to. I saw a girl's hand take his briefly before disappearing. At that moment, he turned to face me.

"Hey new girl," he smiled. "You accidentally walked into my class again this week?"

"No," I said with a half-hearted laugh. "I'm throroughly engrossed in my Postwar America lecture."

"Well thanks for coming to my gig last week," he said.

"No problem," I smiled. "You guys are good."

"Actually, they're gonna kick me out the band," he laughed. "I tried to play Sweet Home Alabama on guitar and I couldn't, and theyr'e not impressed. Apparently I can't just be the singer."

"Oh, that's too bad," I replied. "Listen, I don't know a lot of people around here so...if you ever wanna hang out or something just let me know?"

"Sure," he said, looking slightly surprised at how forward I was being. "Give your number to Sophia and she can pass it on to me."

Sophia? I thought she considered Gerard to be a loser? Why would she be the middle-man between Gerard and I? I soon forgot about the confusing comment Gerard had made as I ventured back to class. 

Later that night, Holly invited me to a party in one of the University Halls. I was nervous to meet people but also excited to get back into the 'University lifestyle' that I had been missing since I left England. When I walked into the apartment the first thing I noticed was that everybody was already drunk and it was only 11pm. I opened a can of beer and Holly introduced me to some of her friends. She was very confident and sociable and it was nice to have her as a friend in these situations that I would usually find kind of awkward. 

"Hey Holly," I said as we went into the kitchen to grab a couple more beers. "Do you know if Gerard will come to this party? I spoke to him again today!"

"Yeah," Holly said, looking slightly awkward. "I think he'll be here."

"Hey girls!"

I turned around to see the pretty face of Sophia walking over to us. This time she was wearing a small black dress and heeled black boots, making me feel underdressed in my jeans and t-shirt.

"Hey," I smiled. We had a brief chat before she wandered off claiming she wanted to say hello to all of her friends. She was seriously popular around University and I thought it would help me make friends but I just felt intimidated by everyone she knew as they were all just as beautiful as her. As the night went on, Holly disappeared with a guy she was seeing and I was left to fend for myself. I walked around looking for Sophia, trying to find a familar face to make me feel more comfortable around all of the drunk students I didn't know. I couldn't find her anywhere, and decided it was time to call it a night and head back to my dorm. As I walked out of the front door, I found Sophia.

She was kissing somebody in the hallway.

She was kissing Gerard.