Chapter 62- Just Our Luck

Daryl and I ran side by side. Our breathing getting heavier by the minute as we ran from the snarling walkers behind us.

Several walkers started to charge at us from in front and I knew we were doomed.

But Daryl being Daryl, grabbed my arm and yanked me to the left. We ran across an old farm field, where they probably grew potatoes or something.

A tree line up a head, told me where we were running to. I picked up the pace a little bit and we started to get closer and closer towards the tree's.

"You need to run as fast as ya can right now!" Daryl commanded as he pushed his legs forward.

I nodded and moved my legs as fast as they could carry me towards the tree line. We were just meters away now, getting closer and closer by the second.

We burst threw the tree line, the moans and groans becoming a little quieter but not by much. An old house in very bad condition stood on the top of a small hill, to steep to climb.

I looked at Daryl frightened but his eyes were focused on the object at the bottom.

I squinted my eyes and could make out the shape of a rope ladder. I looked behind to see walkers charging at us at full speed.

"You go first!" He shouted at me as we got closer. I nodded and pushed my legs to the limit.

I reached the ladder and quickly climbed up, I got around a quarter of the way when the ladder started to shake frantically.

I looked down to see Daryl, a safe distance above the walkers shaking the ladder from below.

"Climb!" He yelled as he continued to climb. I nodded and scurried up the rest of the ladder. I reached the top and looked down, my lungs burning and my legs completely numb.

Daryl crawled up a second later, panting and out of breath. I bent over the side and peered down. Walkers surrounded the bottom of the ladder. They groaned and pulled on the ladder in frustration, one even attempted to climb it but fell off a moment later.

"What now?" I asked, still trying to catch my breathing. Daryl didn't answer.

He stared at the old house in front of us, his eyes tracing every wall. I studied the house as well. It had white siding all over the sides, but from lack of cleaning it had gone yellow and started to fall off. It wasn't very big, maybe two floors and it was about the size of one large kitchen on both floors.

I looked at Daryl and his face was cold with hatred towards the house. "Is this where you lived?" I asked.

He slowly nodded looking over the sight of the house. I sighed and walked towards the house.

I walked around to the front door, which was old with a screen door in front of it. I took a step towards the door and Daryl put an arm in front of me. "It's dangerous." He growled.

I shrugged his arm off and reached for the door handle. "The house isn't dangerous, the memories are." I said as I opened the front door with several loud creaks.

I stepped inside and let the door fall shut behind me. I was in a tiny kitchen, beside it a even smaller living room. There was an old tv with an ugly red plaid couch on the wood floor. I looked at the dusty old fireplace where several pictures laid.

I walked over to them and looked at the photo's. The first one was of a happy looking man with a women holding a baby.

The second one had Merle as a kid, the happy man looking less happy, the woman from the first picture looking exhausted and a tiny baby wrapped in a blanket.

I assumed the baby was Daryl and they were taking a family portrait. I looked at the next one.

Daryl and Merle stood on a beach, Daryl held a giant net with a huge fish while Merle scowled at the happy Daryl. Daryl looked so young there, his shaggy hair cut very boyish making him look younger.

I looked at the next one. Daryl wore a black leather jacket and was probably a few years younger than Tayler in the picture.

He wore a permanent looking scowl, a bruise just below his left eye. The happy man sat next to him, except he was scowling at the camera.

I looked at the last picture. It was Daryl wearing a shirt with the sleeves ripped off. He frowned and his arms were crossed, he looked to be around the age I was now.

I picked up the picture and slid it out of the frame. I smiled and folded it in half and stuck it in my sock.

I looked at the pictures again and heard a small floor board creak. "Daryl, is this your family?" I asked pointing to the picture with baby Daryl.

He didn't answer. I turned around to face him but was greeted by a large walker stumbling towards me. I screamed and it tackled me to the ground. I tried to push it off but it was too fat. I looked towards the door to see Daryl staring at me and the walker in awe and I knew it must be his someone he knew.

"HELP!" I screamed as I shoved the walker off of me. I rolled out from underneath of it and quickly jumped to my feet.

Panting and sweating as I pulled my knife out. Daryl came to my side and put his arm in front of me.

He took the knife I held in my hand and he bent down in front of the walker.

"This, this is fer everythin', hurtin' me, hurtin' Merle and for treatin' mom like shit!" Daryl yelled as he stabbed the knife into the walkers heart. "I should just let ya lay here and rot! You're too fat to get up anyways!" He screamed before plunging the knife into his fathers skull.

His father died instantly, his moans turning into silence. Daryl pulled the knife out and plunged it deep into the walkers chest again.

He repeated the action over and over until I pulled him away from the body. I looked at his face and saw so much pain.

A silent tear fell down his face and I wiped it away with my thumb. "Let's go." I said quietly and Daryl nodded.

"You stay here, I'm gonna go check my neighbours yard for his horse." He said, turning towards the door. Before I could object he slipped out of the house towards his neighbours house. I decided to explore upstairs.

I walked up the steps and looked into the first room. The room was filled with drugs, motorcycle items and darkness.

I looked at the closet quickly to see if it was Daryl's room, hoping to see their distinct wardrobe differences. But Merle's clothing hung in the closet, messy and dirty.

I quickly left the room and shut the door. I looked into the next room to see a master bed with alcohol covering the dresser.

I already knew it was his dads. The next room was a bathroom, making the last room Daryl's.

His door was shut, and I turned the knob quickly. Daryl's room was nearly empty, a table with random stuff sat with no bed in the room. Several pictures of the happy women from the photo's, which I assumed were his mothers laid on some shelves.

I picked up the pillow that laid on the floor. I breathed it in and it smelled like Daryl, except it smelled less like B.O.

I smiled and threw the pillow down on the floor. I looked on a small table and saw a small wooden box. I opened it and a beautiful sapphire ring was laying on the beautiful blue velvet on the inside of the box.

I smiled and put the box back down on the table. I took one last glance at the room and shut the door behind me. I walked down the stairs and stepped past his fathers body. Daryl walked in a moment later his face the same dull expression.

"We're lucky that old man had a barn filled with hay and water, let's go." Daryl said heading back outside.

I smiled and walked outside. A skinny brown horse stood on the grass waiting for us to climb on.

"Let's go." I said happily walking towards the horse.