Chapter 4: The Warmth of Friendship

Life as a university student was exhilarating for Serena. At first, she was scared of going into a new environment and meeting new people. But leaving behind her old, damaged self, Serena knew that this was one step towards a better life.

Pulling into the campus, Serena paid off the taxi driver whom had driven her from the airport. This was the first time she stepped outside of Kansas and to think it was all the way to Washington. The aching in Serena's heart still pulled at her heart strings but a sense of liberty washed over her, sending a shiver down her spine. Arriving at Becker University late into the night was a sight to be awestruck. The moon casted a luminescent glow marring the atmosphere in a peaceful tranquility and the reflection of the moonlight tinted silver into the abyss of the night. Stars danced freely in the dark blue sky and a slight breeze kissed Serena's skin, sending goosebumps crawling down her arms. Closing her eyes, Serena took deep breaths and ingrained the surreal feelings in her mind. Finally she could create an identity for herself. Her own being, not a nameless shadow whom the world knew nothing of.

Picking up her luggage, Serena travelled across the seemingly huge campus that laid before her eyes. Tall buildings surrounded a beautiful fountain that centered the campus like a masterpiece. Serena pulled out her map in search of her dorm room. The night made it tougher to comprehend exactly where she was going but after a few wrong turns, Serena finally found her dorm room. She stood right in front of the door, excited to meet her roommate and yet her hands and feet were frozen on spot. What if her roommate didn't like her and ignored her? What if they don't get along? Would it be awkward? How should she introduce herself?

Millions of thoughts ran through Serena's mind, diminishing the little confidence she had. Unaware that she had been standing there for 10 minutes straight, a voice from behind her shook her back to reality.

"Hey, are you going in room 203B? "

Serena turned around to face a beautiful red-head with the greenest eyes that Serena had ever encountered. It was an emerald green with lighter shades swirling around. Her skin was creamy white and a few freckles spread over her nose and cheeks.

"Yeah, I am. I just got here," Serena responded shyly, "You?"

"Same, I was actually supposed to arrive tomorrow but I thought it would be better if I came earlier to get settle down," the girl said.

Serena nodded as her shoulders sagged in relief. Her roommate seemed friendly. Maybe things might be looking up for Serena for the first time in ... well forever.

"Well, I'm Serena," Serena extended her hand forward. "Serena James."

"Justine Sarenson, nice to meet you roomie," Justine smiled and shook Serena's hand in amusement. "So what do you say? Should we go in or want to camp out here?"

"I...." Heat rose in her cheeks and Serena looked away in embarrassment. "I was just nervous." Serena unlocked the door and stepped inside with her luggage in hand and then holding the door open for Justine.

Justine's smile widened, knowing that they will get along just fine. "Aww.. you're so damn cute. We are going to have a blast together!"

***

The next few days went by blissfully. Serena and Justine got along really well even though it was awkward in the beginning. Mostly Justine was doing the talking and engaging in conversation while Serena listened to her attentively and nodding her head whenever necessary. To others it might seem that Serena was just too shy to say much and that might be true in the slightest sense. However, the truth is Serena never really had the friends that she read in books and watched in movies, so having Justine with her made her heart soared. Watching as her roomie keep on blabbering, joy and hope sparked within Serena. And so she chose to stay silent and just drink in the sight that entertained her with the way Justine's eyes sparkled as she talked, laughing without care and hands wavering around. Could I finally have found a friend? A real friend this time around?