Semifinals: Marielle Dupain

A commotion sounded outside my door, loud enough to wake me from whatever number nap this was - five? fifty? My cheeks had creased the paper I slept on during the night, or perhaps afternoon. Maybe even morning.

I raised my head blearily, rubbing my eyes just enough so that I looked at least awake when an unknown woman knocked gently on the poles of my tent and leaned inside. Behind her, people rushed to and fro, some at a dead sprint. "Miss Dupain? Dr. Moriz sent me. We found a cure."

That truly woke me, and I stood, barely keeping from knocking over the rickety card table I called a desk. "A cure? So I'm not going to die?"

She laughed gently and stepped fully inside, pressing a cool hand against my forehead in a gesture that reminded me of school nurses and my mother when I felt a bit warm - her hands were the same cold, soft touch. "You haven't developed a fever yet, and you would be well into the hallucinations had you contracted the disease. Don't worry, Miss Dupain, you'll be fine. The quarantine was mainly to calm our own nerves." A ghost of a smile graced her face for a split second.

"So you have the cure, then?"

Her face tightened. "No, not yet. We found a flower deep in Danu, the rain forests, that should be able to save everyone as long as get all the flowers."

"So you're sending the botanist. I'm assuming? Or else I would be back to delivering messages, which I don't fancy."

"Yes, Miss Dupain, you're part of the team. You have a few other scientists, and a few soldiers who know the way. Well-armed."

I didn't have time for questions - I was busy throwing off the clothes I'd worn for ages and grabbing my bag, a notebook, sturdy shoes, more bags for collecting and carrying and recording. This was perhaps the most important trip I'd been on since landing. I needed all the equipment I could get.

The woman stood aside to let me pass as I lugged a backpack, stuffed so much it wouldn't properly close, past her, then another notebook and a pen to stick through my ponytail. As I took the last sheaf of paper I might need - always need extras - I glanced down at my letter to Claire, the lined paper covered in messy handwriting and messy emotions.

I left it on the desk. Perhaps it would be useful after this mission as well.

The woman ushered me outside, where about ten people were milling, in various states of lab or soldier dress. A few had mixed outfits - I supposed it made sense, since we were reusing clothing as their previous owners went missing or died in crashes or of the plague.

Technically, the plague clothes we burned.

All the others were up for grabs.

"Are you Miss Dupain? The botanist? You're the last one, then," a man remarked, far taller than I, a stack of papers shifting sides as he tried to make room to shake my hands. "I'm Dean. Geographer and cartographer, so I have the maps for this trip."

"Glad to know someone knows the way. I only know about the flora." I let out a quick smile and readjusted my bag.

"Mr. Hanover is leading the mission. He's the lieutenant up there. The soldiers have their guns."

We fell silent as the burly man that Dean had called Mr. Hanover turned to us. His face was grim, though that may have simply been his normal face - his brow bone was jutting and made it look like he was glaring at us even as he started speaking.

"Scientists, men, we are about to embark upon a mission to save the souls afflicted with the Danu plague. This could be the most important thing we do on this planet - saving lives. You know your roles. Play them well."