Chapter Four

Author's Note:

I'm actually way too excited for this story; it's not even healthy. Here's Chapter Four; hope you enjoy! :) Vote, fan, share, comment, all dat shizz. 

xoxo, 

Q.

“Yeah, the three of them never come to my games.” I say, scowling at Nate, Jess, and Alana.

“Really?” Emery’s face is lit up with a smile, and the dimple appears in his left cheek. How did Alana and Jess not notice it? It’s so obvious! “How come?”

Alana rolls her eyes. “We love Luke and all, but basketball is so not our thing. Plus they get all cocky when they win.”

“Which is always.” I grin and hold up my hand for a high-five, which no one responds to. “Come on, anyone?”

Emery laughs and slaps my hand. “Well, you can count me in.”

My eyebrows shoot up; as do Alana’s and Jess’.

“For real?” I ask.

He nods. “Yeah, sounds like fun.”

Nate laughs. “Yeah, poor Luke can’t go to a game unless someone’s there to watch him. And since he just broke up with Vanessa Reeve, he doesn’t have a date.” Nate whacks me on the arm. “I’m still majorly pissed about that, by the way.”

“Oh, come on. Weren’t you guys the ones who said I could date whoever I wanted and sleep with whoever I wanted?” I say, raising my eyebrows at Nate.

He just rolls his eyes. “No, that was Alana.”

I scowl at him, but he just grins.

“The game is tomorrow, I could still get a girl to come if I wanted to.” I say with a shrug.

“Why don’t you, then?” Emery asks. I turn to look at him, surprised at his question. His silver eyes are looking at me, honestly curious, and his messy hair hangs slightly in his face and I’m tempted to reach out and brush it aside—wow, that’s a weird thought.

Remembering that he asked me a question, I force myself to focus on my words. “Oh…well, I don’t exactly have the greatest track record when it comes to dating. All the girls I’ve dated have been completely intolerable and I just keep on dating. So I’ve decided that I’m not going to date unless it’s someone I actually care about.”

From the corner of my eye, I see Nate roll his eyes. “I saw that, asshole.” I scowl at him.

“Like I care.” He responds, but I ignore him, instead turning my eyes back to Emery as he responds.

“I think that’s really cool. Dating matters, even in high school.”

I snort. “Tell that to my little brother.”

Emery smiles and my eyes immediately flash to his dimple, and then to his eyes. Another thing that happens when he smiles, along with the dimple, is that his eyes just light up. This little twinkling light shines in his eyes and the corners crinkle up.

“You have a little brother?” he asks and again, I have to refocus myself on the conversation instead of Emery’s face.

I nod, taking a drink from my water bottle. “He’s fifteen, he’s a sophomore here. You may have seen him around. Looks just like me, always around a group of girls, and walks around like he’s the shit.”