Chapter 49

*Two nights ago*

I came back to his office with two hot mugs of coffee, ones that had been made by Pinky, who was still in the kitchen with Smiley. I swear, those two are up to something.

I gave one to the man, watching him take it and immediately took a sip. I was expecting him to spit it out due to the temperature, but he seemed satisfied.

I took the only other chair in the room, which previously had books stacked on it. After placing the dusty books on the floor and putting the chair next to him, I sat down and took a sip from the surprisingly delicious coffee. I knew that Pinkamena was good with sweets and other food involving sugar, but I didn't know that she could brew coffee like a god damn barista.

From my past conversations from other people, I've understood that I'm not that fond of sharing whatever what was on my mind. I think it was because I thought that it wasn't that much of a relevance to the others. Well, maybe it was to a few people, but still.

I looked at everywhere except at Daniel, noticing that he had put his picture of himself and his wife, and that he propped the glove up on some sort of case.

"So, I take it that you didn't just come here to wake me up?" He questioned, raising an eyebrow.

I slightly shook my head as I sipped on the coffee for the second time. "No, and I'm sorry about that." I placed the mug on his desk, sighing.

Whether the coffee had done it's job, with his eyes not looking tired anymore, or it was the curiosity he gained from my being here. There was this same glint he'd have whenever he'd discover something new or  have something be improved.

"I'm thinking of going back home."

In the middle of drinking his coffee, he began coughing. I reached out to help him, but he started laughing.

"Kid, do you even know how to? Plus, if you go back out there, they'll just track you down again." He sighed and placed his mug on the desk. "Where did you live?" He then asked.

I bit my lip, just staring at him. I hesitated a bit and told him where I lived.

After saying that, he stared at me as if I grew two more heads. A smile slowly grew on his lips, and he chuckled. "So, you're telling me, that you never lived here in Washington?"

My hand froze and I stared wide-eyed at him. I felt the hot temperature grazing my fingertips, but I didn't mind taking my hand back.

I've been staying with people in a place that's a plane ride away from home. Why haven't I realized that? More importantly, why hasn't anyone told me? I was desperate to go home, only to realize that I'm that far away from my family. But if I do try going back, I might end up back in Phoenix. 

Plus, my family isn't safe around me. What was I thinking? I can't go back.

Daniel sighed and his smile faded, suddenly looking older. If I remember, he should still be at least twenty-nine, or less than that. Now, he looks tired, and, well, old.

"I'll be quite honest with you, Sam," He said with a tone that I remember him using when he told me of his back story, "these things that I've made, they usually take longer to be finished. Back then, I used to do them all alone, since the guy I was being an intern to was always busy and had to travel a lot, leaving me to figure things out by myself and sometimes run a company with no help from some other scientists."

He let out another chuckle, but it was more wry than the past ones he had let out.

"And when I saw you, I thought that you were just another boy, lost in the woods, not knowing a thing or two about biogenetics and machinery, with a lack of self control and such." He brought his mug to his lips, breathing in. "You surprised me, kid. You really did."