T H I R D W H E E L

ADAM IS A VERY WEIRD guy.

And I'm not just saying that because I'm pissed at the fact that he might have a crush on my sister. Okay, maybe that helps. And yes, he does have a crush on her. I mean, hello? Does he think I'm blind or something? He's been staring at her for hours.

Okay, fine—I'm exaggerating.

He's been here for only twelve hours. I'm not sure, though, I don't know how to keep track of time. 

But still, I'm getting angry. He stares at her, whenever she's not looking. No seriously, he does. I glare at him, but he doesn't get the message. And Juliette does the same when he isn't looking either. It's like they have this bond or something. And I am pissed. Not jealous.

Why would I be jealous? I mean it's not like—Okay, fine I am, alright? Just a tiny, little ... Okay, maybe a lot.

I want Juliette all to myself.

Weird, I know but I don't care. It's one of the moments where I'm happy he can't touch her.

It's like they both have forgotten that I'm there with them in the cell. And he's only been here for less than a day. Juliette's been quieter ever since his arrival. I'm getting worried. When Adam falls asleep, I wait for him to snore. When he does, I immediately seize the chance to talk to my sister. She's sitting beside me on the small bed, not enough to hold us both. I grab her head and bring her closer to me so I can whisper in her ear.

She winces and rubs her head. "What is it, Rachel?"

"Juliette," I whisper-hiss, "I don't trust this creature."

"Yeah," She rolls her eyes and doesn't lower her tone. "That's because we've just met him."

I ignore that.

"One of us should keep watch whenever the other is asleep so that the creature may not come within a centimeter of us."

"That," says Juliette. "is a ridiculous idea."

"No, it's not." I shake my head. Since we are talking normally, I move my head away. "The guy might be some serial killer or worse—some crazy psychopath. There has to be a reason why he was sent here to this asylum. He didn't just jump one day and went, 'Hey, there's an idea. Why don't I go live in an asylum? It's cheap and I won't have to work anymore.'"

"You are in the asylum, too." She points out. "And you didn't do anything. The Reestablishment might have placed him here for no reason at all."

Of course, I have no reply to that. And yes, I notice that she hasn't made mention of herself for being here. But I'm too tried to argue with her. I used the whole month, I had been with her, to help get out of her pity-circle. We made progress, but not much. At the end I told her that only she could help herself get out of it.

"I don't know about you," I say, grabbing the blanket and pulling it over my eyes. "But I am not sleeping without someone keeping a watch on that ..." I look at Adam's sleeping form. " ... Thing."

"Fine." She sighs. "But I'll have to wake you up after a few hours because you're not the only one deprived of sleep."

"Fine, whatever." I mumble. "Now, shut up because I am going to get some righteous sleep that was very brutally stolen from me."

I can imagine her rolling her eyes at that.

I feel my heavy eyes close and my mind sinking into sleep.