B E T R A Y A L

TWO WEEKS PASS BY AND we all fall into a routine.

I'm getting used to Adam's presence. I have decided that he's really not some psychopath. He feels like the older brother I never had. I know weird, I was too much judgmental at first. And it kind of gets irritating when that brother looks at your sister like she's a puppy that he wants to get but can never have. And I've already punched him in the gut, twice, when he wasn't paying attention to his surrounding and was staring at Juliette.

I do the same thing again now. So that makes it thrice.

I thrash and run away from him when he tries to grab me after I punch him for the third time. He tries to catch me but I hide behind Juliette. I know he wouldn't hit me or anything. But still. He stops, when I hide behind Juliette and grab her shoulders from the back. I also know that he will never touch Juliette. I trust him.

"Crazy man chasing me." I yell and dodge his hand when he tries to grab me, he was avoiding touching Juliette's shoulder. "Help, Juliette! Help!"

"Coward." He mutters. "Come out and fight like a man."

"Smart coward." I correct him, snickering. "Well, thank goodness I'm not a man then."

He sighs and sinks into his bed.

A few minutes later, as if realizing something, he smacks his head. I try to catch his eye but he looks away when I try to look at him. I bite my lip and stand up from the bed and stand in front of him, Juliette is sitting behind me on the bed. But I can tell she's paying attention. Adam lowers his face into his hands. His sudden change in posture makes me anxious. He keeps saying something like two weeks, two weeks under his breath.

"Hey." I say, trying to get his attention. "Why are you so glum all of a sudden? Did I punch you too hard?" I laugh.

He doesn't. I see Juliette look at him too, concern etched in her eyes if not her face. She doesn't let her emotions come to her face easily. But living with her has taught me how to read her mood off by the crinkles and movements of muscles on her face that are supposed to be facial expressions. She's getting better at them, though.

"Adam." I say, a little uneasily. "Is something—"

The door crashes open and five people come swarming into the room like bees. Pointing rifles at us.

For a second, I'm so shocked that I don't move. My mind races and my heart thunders. I scream and scamper towards Juliette, who's also momentarily frozen. Adam is the first one to react and is on his feet. Juliette has stopped breathing, she's so shocked.

"HANDS UP, FEET APART, MOUTHS SHUT. DON'T MOVE AND WE WON'T SHOOT YOU."

I gulp and raise my hands, weakly, while moving my feet apart. Pressing my lips together, I stifle a scream. Juliette is still not moving. I try to nudge her to move but she doesn't. The one barking orders slams the butt of his gun into Juliette's back and she falls to the floor.

"NO!" I yell trying to reach for her but the man places the barrel of the gun at my head.

"Move and I'll blow your little head off." He snarls.

I have never wanted to kill someone as much as I want to kill him now. But I don't move for Juliette's sake. I watch her helplessly, as she starts to cough and breathe again. Adam is yelling at the men. I can't hear him. I can only see Juliette and she's laying totally immobilized on the floor.