9- Come In With The Rain

“Are you excited?” 

I shrugged. “I’m a little excited.”

“Oh come on, Dakota.” Marnie giggled. “Be more excited than just a little bit.”

I shook my head. “I don’t think this will be all that fun.” I admitted, looking in the mirror one last time. It was Sunday, the day that I was supposed to hang out with Caleb, which is what I was supposed to be incredibly excited for. Sure, I was a little bit excited, but I was also kind of nervous, even though it wasn’t a date or anything, we were just going to a movie. 

I wasn’t even dressed fancy or anything, just a nice silver tank top with a layer of black lace, dark skinny jeans, and black bootie heels with my hair in natural waves down my back. I put on a thin line of eyeliner and mascara but that was all of the makeup I had on, so like I said, I wasn’t all fancy or anything.

Since Tuesday, I kind of got used to talking to Caleb for the most part. He came over to say hello to me at my lunch table a few times and I gave him a ride to school on Thursday for some reason that I forget. I’m not all buddy-buddy with him or anything, but at least I can breathe now when he’s around. 

“Well, you look amazing so now you just have to handle yourself without having any panic attacks or anything.” Marnie advised with a small smile. 

“Right,” I chuckled, fixing a stray hair by tucking it behind my ear. 

“Okay, well I’ll go now and let you have your privacy for a little bit.” Marnie sighed. “Good luck!” She chimed, not even giving me a chance to say goodbye to her before she was gone out the door. 

I was about to go say goodbye to Owen, who was in his room with some of his friends. I don’t know who was all there, but there were a lot of them in there because they were being really loud. However, I was interrupted by the shrill ring of my phone that was tucked safely in my pocket. 

I pulled it out of my pocket to see that it was Caleb who was calling me. I assumed that it was him calling me to tell me that he was early or something, so I quickly answered with a chirpy hello.

“Hey,” He chirped back. 

“I’ll be down in a sec,” I assured him in a breathy, nervous voice. 

“That’s actually what I’m calling about.” He sighed.

“Um…. Okay.” I mumbled slowly in confusion.

“Yeah, it turns out that I have to babysit my sister tonight and I’m just finding this out.”

“Oh,” Was the only thing that I could think of to say.

“But we can reschedule, right?” He piped.

“Right, we’ll reschedule.” I assured him, sitting down on the edge of my bed. I was both disappointed and a little bit relieved that tonight was cancelled. Mostly disappointed, though, because throughout the week, Marnie had gotten me really excited about this whole thing. 

“Great,” He sighed. “I’ll see you tomorrow then?”

“Yeah, right. I’ll see you tomorrow.” I grumbled before he bid me a quick goodbye and then hung up.

I locked my phone and sat it down beside me, figuring that I should go tell my dad that I wasn’t going out anymore. I found him downstairs watching something on TV but I didn’t know what since it was on a commercial break. 

“Hey, Dad,” I chirped, sitting beside him on the couch.

“Hey, kiddo, aren’t you supposed to be going on a date tonight?”