47 Confessions

Iris

Iris

Vienna I love these! _potatokitty_ made them!

Vienna
I love these! _potatokitty_ made them!

Jonas~~

Seong-ho comes clean, and once he's done, my thoughts are left swarming.

I leave my cousins and siblings to continue asking their questions.

"Jonas, wait."

I stop in the hallway, hearing Iris's footsteps catching up with me.

"Please don't be angry with Jay-yeon—Seong-ho."

"It's—I—" I press a hand against my face and let out a sigh.

"I can't talk about this here." Though there is no one in the hall, I can't risk someone overhearing Seong-ho's secret. "I—follow me."

She bites her lip, nodding.

I lead us up to the roof, and though it's early afternoon and the sun is high overhead, the fact fall is almost here—the air cool with a light breeze—means the heat is hardly noticeable.

"Jonas?"

Around us the mountains stand tall, their trees full and green. Soon the leaves will turn colors, die, and fall. White will replace the green landscape.

"Are you angry at him?"

"I'm angry that I'm falling in love with you when it's useless."

Her eyes widen.

"Every smile from you, every laugh you brought out of me, every time I felt desire for you, I knew every single time that nothing could come of them, and I thought if I kept reminding myself of it that it would keep me from falling for you."

"What do you mean useless? Because I need to leave?"

I laugh, and it sounds hallow. "I wish." My hand tightens in a fist. "The Society is consumed with their traditions, their bloodlines. They want the eldest sons of the Order to become the new Order. And when children—sons or daughters—don't fit neatly on a family tree, they Society causes an uproar."