Chapter 24

"I hadn't told them about you,
But they saw you bathing in my eyes.
I hadn't told them about you,
But they saw you in my written words.
The perfume of love cannot be concealed."

~ Nizar Qabbani

"That's good," he reached over and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. His hand lingered there for a second before he cupped my face, his thumb gliding over my cheek.

Oh no, I thought.

"Kev..." I bit my lip hesitantly.

His hand lingered there for a few more seconds, his eyes looking into mine, pleadingly searching for something- what, I did not know.

Almost as though he had found his answer, he suddenly pulled his hand back. He threw both hands behind him and leaned back again, looking up into the sky once more. His eyes moved to four positions- the Southern Cross.

"The thing is, Kitty," he spoke slowly. "I already know that there is something between you and Wes. I just wanted to confirm it so I could at least go on thinking that I tried to make you know all your options before it was too late."

"I'm not with Wes," I corrected Kevin.

"I would be happy about that," Kevin sighed longingly. "But you seem too sad about that."

I could not reply. I was already at a loss for words.

"We could be good together, Kitty. But I'm not stupid and I won't talk down Wes- he is a good friend. He may be arrogant and sarcastic at times, but his heart is in the right place. And I can tell that place is with you."

"Bridgette said some awful things about him, Kevin," I looked down at the lake. It was just a black sheet in front of me, an abyss of uncertainty.

"Are you really going to take Bridgette's word over whatever Wes has to say to explain himself?" Kevin chuckled. "You're going to have to learn a little more trust if you want a relationship, Kitty. Maybe it's a good thing we're not together." He said the last part lightly with a smirk.

I looked at Kevin sitting beside me with a loose smile on his lips. Here he was giving me advise on how to be in a relationship with another guy right after he confessed his affections.

I placed a hand over his, "I'm really sorry, Kevin."

He smiled and slipped his hand out from under me and poked my cheek lightly, "Perhaps in another dimension we could be together?" With that he smiled his geeky smile that I had come to associate with him whenever he made a physics joke.

"Perhaps."

-

"So, has everyone gotten over the rumour yet?" I assumed they were talking about The rumour that Wes was gay.

"Not completely, still getting a few numbers of male admirers every now and then," Wes glared at me. I don't think he'll ever truly get over that. Kevin and I sat down with the rest of the group. Worryingly so, the other four members were still missing.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know it was a prank," Jan bit her lip worriedly. "When we get back to school, I promise I'll tell everyone it was a joke."

"Please don't," I chuckled.

"Well, if you'd just nail a girl like last time this happened, everyone would be over it already," Jordan laughed at Wes.

"This isn't the first time it's happened?" Kevin laughed. However, he was drowned out by Eli.