Sin #12: Know When To Fold (Go Fish!)

You don't want to end up beating a dead horse, especially when it comes to writing. Actually, you should just avoid doing that altogether. It's kinda messed up, not to mention cruel... What the heck is wrong with you?

  You always pick the cheeriest subject matter, don't you?

  Life isn't like a box of chocolates, dude. More like a box of crap, that someone shoves into your face when you least expect it, and then they kick you in the nuts. You try your very best to recover, but then someone delivers a new smelly box with a pretty bow on top, and the cycle just repeats forever.

  Er, okay... I guess we caught you on a bad day. Should I tell our readers to come back later?

  Nah, let them in. It's time we had a real talk, about something that most teachers and guide-makers would rather sweep under the rug. For a very good reason, too — it's their job to inspire you, to create a positive learning atmosphere. 

  But this is Wattpad Hell, and it wouldn't be right to ignore a sin just because it can be difficult for some to hear. Today, we're going to talk about the art of giving up.

  I'm not a quitter! There's nothing you can say that will make me stop writing!

  We all like to think that, don't we? When you first start on a story, you have this incredible drive that pushes you forward. You're eager to share your unique experiences and perspective with the rest of the Wattpad community. That's fantastic, but what if you get second idea? You've got some free time, so why not write two?

  You can easily manage multiple projects with a little scheduling, but that is not the issue. The sad fact is, given enough time, you will want to move on to greater things. Not only that, your circumstances may change as well — perhaps your academic workload becomes a burden, or you just grow older and cannot relate to the series you began writing years ago.

  Some people might feel trapped, pressured into updating a popular title that they are in no condition to continue. It becomes a 4,000-word weekly chore, lacking the thrill and excitement it once had as a fresh concept. 

  Entire hours of this person's life are being drained by an activity they simply do not enjoy, and they may lose their passion for writing altogether. But would it really be considered a bad thing if they just... let go?

  Yes. Yes, it would.

  That's right, it- Hey, no! You see, there is always a stigma against leaving an incomplete project.

  Humans are built to think this way, because it's only natural to finish what you started. However, if you find yourself just going through the motions, it's likely that the end result will be nowhere near the standard it was at the beginning.

  Starting a new story is pretty much a contract you make with yourself, and as the one who creates it, you are the only one who has the right to break it. Do you keep pushing yourself through the pain despite what life is currently throwing at you? Or do you hold up your cards and admit that you're in way over your head?

  Never! Perseverance is the mark of a brilliant author!

  Do not mistake stubbornness for perseverance. You can't control the way your brain works, and it's impossible to force creative talent when your fuel tank is running on empty. Once you've lost interest in a task, it won't come back through sheer willpower.

  Just because you can endure exams with gritted teeth, that doesn't make it a decent writing habit. Remember, this is our own form of art we're talking about! We need that personal investment, the unique spark that transforms us into overly-caffeinated word monkeys!

  One day, you might even find yourself wanting to write, but are physically unable to. Living situations change, we get busy and sometimes one priority overtakes another. That's okay too, you don't have to overwork yourself if the updates are becoming too stressful.

  Fine, then! I'll just keep throwing in the towel, and never finish a chapter again!

  I'm definitely not trying to promote story abandonment... Believe me, Wattpad already has its own epidemic on that front. This is strictly a nuclear option, a chance to start anew in case you write yourself into a corner and the work keeps piling up.

  We're supposed to be having fun here, so why does everyone keep locking themselves into tighter update schedules? Why do they pump all of their energy into stories they'd rather not be writing? If the authors aren't enjoying themselves, the chances are that their readers aren't either!

  I dunno, man... Isn't there any middle ground here? 

  Of course there is, what do you think hiatuses are for? These indefinite breaks allow authors and other content creators to catch up and draw focus on where it is needed most. A short break for a week or two, it could be the second wind that your book needs!

  What you should be wary of, is dropping a story into hiatus and letting it fall straight into the abyss. Always let your readers know of its current status, delayed or canceled, or else they could be waiting for a long, long time. You may forget about your stack of failures down the line, but your devoted fans certainly won't!

----

  The greatest illusion of any project is 'control'. You have none, and despite how much we try to grasp an idea with both hands, sometimes it just wasn't meant to be. Whether you'll come back to face it in two years or twenty, that's entirely up to you.

  Some people might say 'don't start what you can't finish'. I say 'bull' to that, and that you should follow what your heart tells you. If you want to start writing about cowboy romance in the few hours between your five other space-age thrillers, I say go for it. Manage your time wisely, and if you can, keep them all afloat.

  That being said, snipping your least favourite one wouldn't be the end of the world. Death is a sad fact of life, even the death of a story. Everything has a lifespan, and the old must be sacrificed for the new.

  Take a look at your library, right now. If there's a piece of work that's been eating away at you, maybe making you feel a little bit guilty... It's your call to make. Don't let anything tie you down.

  Do what's right for you, and set yourself free.

  Damn, dude. I think I'll go and sit in the corner for a while. This is just depressing...