Chapter Five

Chapter Five

The day's trickle away like raindrops on a window in stormy weather. I find myself looking at the silver clocking hanging against the dark blue wall. Each hand ticks past slower than before, just waiting for me to throw it out a window. I think it would enjoy the escape from this sad little place.

"Three more minutes, don't worry," says Natalie.

Jumping with fright, I look over my shoulder and half-smile. The great thing about working on the checkout is that I don't have to clean the coffee machine, I can walk out without much effort other than organising the money we've made for the day. These days breathing feels too hard.

"Three minutes too many," I grumble, rolling my eyes in the process.

I should be happy, I know I should be happy, but I'm not. I've tried writing new songs to suit Jason's expectations, but each song seems to be worse than the last. I'm close to giving up. I know I shouldn't, but it's a sweet temptress.

"What has gotten you into this mood?"

"Nothing," I dismiss. "I'm just tired." 

Talking about anything else would be better. In fact, I don't want to talk, I want to cuddle.

Grabbing my phone, I open the app and look through. I hover my finger over the order button. Doubt trickles through my mind. I can't order him again, I really can't. Before I have the chance to clock the screen, the device is pulled from my hand.

"I'll save you the trouble," says Natalie. "He'll be at your house ASAP." She grins from ear to ear.

"What did you do that for?" I frown.

"Oh girl, you know!" She shakes her head with a laugh.

"Thanks." I take my phone back and pocket it.

I grab my belongings from under the bench and head out. I slip on my jacket and tie my hair up to prevent the wind from blowing it across my face. Instead of racing home, I leisurely walk down the pathway as I tap on my phone.

When I get into the building and onto the floor of my apartment, I catch Kol outside my apartment getting ready to knock.

"Kol?" I all out.

"Hi, Lola." He spins around and smiles.

"Sorry, I sort of just finished work. The girl at the shop stole my phone and yeah..." I stop talking when I notice how irrelevant my words are.

"It's fine. I was in the neighbourhood." Of course, it didn't matter he was in the neighbourhood, but the thought of Kol with an old person brings a shiver to my spine.

"Do you want to watch a movie?" I ask.

"Sure." He nods his head.

I walk inside and lead him to where I keep the movies. I direct Kol to pick something while I run to the shower. I twirl around under the water as I was the soap over my skin. As soon as I step inside, I'm stepping out and re-dressing. By the time he's picked a movie, I'm dressed in my pyjamas and in the living room.