Chapter Thirteen

Better Than Revenge

 Chapter 13

Ohmygod. Ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod. 

You have got to be kidding me, I thought, staring at my computer screen in horror. 

Christian Ryder and Sophia Hastings: Hollywood’s Hottest New Couple? 

Christian Ryder and Sophia Hastings, the stars of the upcoming teen flick, Kidnap My Heart, are Hollywood’s hottest stars of the moment. Could they also be Hollywood’s hottest new couple? 

Ryder, 21, has assured the public and the press that there is nothing going on between Sophia and him. Sophia, 18, and her manager have also denied the rumors. 

Yet, an inside source on the set of Kidnap My Heart reports that, “sparks fly around Chris and Sophia and they always seem to be together. I smell love in the air!”

Fans everywhere are rooting for Ryder and Sophia and hoping this rumor is true, but for the moment, Ryder and Sophia are keeping their relationship on the down-low. 

“Relationship?” I read out loud. “What relationship? We have no relationship!” 

You had to be kidding me. This was the most preposterous thing I had ever heard in my entire life. How could anyone think there was something going on between Christian and me? Besides nuclear war, of course. Or perhaps World War III. 

“This is absolutely ridiculous,” I muttered angrily, shaking my head. 

“Oh, you’re talking to yourself,” Tori said, mostly to herself as she entered my room. “You must’ve seen the news…” 

“Of course I saw the news!” I snapped, still staring at the screen with a horrified look on my face.

“Soph, it’s not that bad!” Tori consoled, biting her lip. 

“Yes, it is that bad!” I cried wildly. “Look at this! Just look!”

“Calm down!” she exclaimed, walking over to me. 

“I can’t calm down!” My hand twitched as I read all the blogs and articles on our “new relationship”. 

“Just try!”

“How can you expect me to even try to calm down? Are you seeing this?” I demanded, pointing at the computer screen. 

“Well, yes, but—” 

“Look!” I screeched. “Look! ‘Secret Relationship.’ ‘Hot New Couple.’ ‘Lovebirds.’ ‘On-and-Off-Screen Love.’ It’s… disgusting!” 

“It’s not that bad!” she repeated, shooting me a look.

“Yes, it is!” I insisted stubbornly. “This couldn’t be any farther from the truth!” 

“That’s how Hollywood is, Soph!” Tori pointed out. “Rumors, rumors, rumors! You have to get used to it!” 

“Why can’t it be some other rumor?” I groaned, slamming my head on my desk. “Why can’t they accuse me of starting a cat-fight or something?” 

“This kind of rumor is juicier. People love this stuff.” 

I sighed irritably. “This is why I hate people.” 

Tori rolled her eyes. “Soph, you wanted this. You wanted to be an actress. You knew what came with it. Now you have to deal with it.” 

I scowled. “Ugh, I hate it when you’re right.”