Chapter 8--Quick Decisions

"A villain is just a victim whose story hasn't been told." --Chris Colfer
_______________________________________

Raul had been with me since he left the girl in her room

Raul had been with me since he left the girl in her room. He helped me the best he could after I changed to my normal self again.

Well, as normal as I was anyway.

The transformation that time was more painful than it had ever been. I had changed, but the part of my mind that I always kept intact, the part that was me changed with me.

I couldn't remember what I did when I was in the forest. All I knew was that I woke up with blood on my hands. I had come back and didn't need to say a word to Raul, he had already known what had happened.

There wasn't much he could do, though. Since I hadn't had anyone in the castle with me for a long time, I forgot how to control my changing, seeing as I had no need to control it.

"Anything else for you, Sir?"

I looked up at Raul. I was in my room, sitting on my bed. My mind went blank.

"Yeah, you could get rid of this stupid curse."

As soon as the words left my mouth, I wished I could take them back. That wasn't fair. Raul's under the same enchantment I am, just with a few differences.

I watched his face fall, but within a second, he put up his usual bright mask.

I shook my head. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean that."

Silence followed my sentence. My gaze drifted back down to my hands as a wave of guilt washed over me. I had made the only person who could halfway stand to be around me mad.

Why do I always do this? Why can't I learn to stop myself? Why can't--

A rough hand laid itself on the top of my head. I looked up, snapping myself out of my thoughts. Raul stood over me, his creased face in a small smile--a true smile--not the ones that he used when I was being horrible. I started to open my mouth to say something, but he shook his head. I closed my eyes.

We stayed there, both knowing the unspoken words between us.

Sometimes forgiveness doesn't need words.

*****

I sat, carefully perched on a rafter as I watched her explore the room. I followed her when she thought she sneaked from her room. Really, I had asked Raul to unlock her door in the day, so if she felt even the slightest curiosity about where she was, she could explore.

I didn't know why I had asked. It seemed like a waste of time, but when I had thought of it, I liked the idea.

I suppose I still had that hope in me, that stupid sliver of hope. I should have given that up a long time ago.