Baths

I blinked, then blinked again, but nothing changed. Kane was still standing in front of me, open mouthed with disbelief. Behind him was a mix of giant dogs... wolves Cassie, call them what they are... at this point my denial was verging on ridiculous. There were also a few people scattered about the parking lot. To my complete chagrin Sierra was among the group looking as pristine as ever, and here I was covered in blood and bits and pieces.

Kane took a step forward and I didn't think twice about it, just stepped into his arms. His breath caught when I sagged against him, and I felt his arms tighten around me. Without releasing me he started issuing orders.

"I want the place searched. Survivors are to be brought back as prisoners, Sierra you're with me. We are taking Cassie back to the house."

There wasn't a moment of hesitation before the group started moving. I could hear Sierra's irritated sigh that she would be stuck with us, but I was too emotionally exhausted to care.

"Kane, your shirt!" The thought popped up out of nowhere, and I tried to pull back. I knew the blood on me was soaking into his clothes and making them tacky against his skin. The look he gave me was incredulous.

"Cassie. Rest." He scooped me up into his arms and strange sense of peace and calm settled over me. My head fell onto his shoulder and my eyes slipped closed. I didn't sleep, but I could almost pretend that everything was normal and okay, even though it wasn't.

The ride was uneventful. Sierra and Kane kept up a hushed argument, but I was too out of it to follow. I fell in and out of consciousness to the sounds of their quiet, angry words. When the vehicle finally stopped the back door was opened, and Kane picked me up again. I was too tired to protest. The lack of adrenaline had finally ushered me into a state of shock. We entered the same house that I had been held captive in, but everything felt safer this visit.

I was conscious, but not very alert, and having trouble following Kane and Sierra's conversation.

"I'll go get a bed in the infirmary ready for her," Sierra muttered.

"That won't be necessary," Kane replied. We started up a different set of stairs on the opposite side of the house.

"Where are you taking her?" Sierra growled from behind us.

Kane never stopped walking up the stairs, just looked over his shoulder and replied, "My room." The two simple words had an interesting effect on me.

Covered in cooled blood and injuries, shivering from shock, my body warmed and tingled. Sierra's snarl of rage was lost as she slammed the door behind her. Choosing to exit the house instead of fight with Kane. I personally, curled up in his muscular arms, thought that was the best choice.

To soon the stairs ended, and I was being carried down a short hallway. There were double doors at the end that Kane pushed open with his foot. I tried to take in my surroundings, but the more distance put between Miguel and I, the more I wanted to finally pass out.

I didn't question the sudden safety I felt with Kane, opposite of how I felt when he came in the restaurant.

He finally set me down on the edge of a tub. The thing was huge, it could have easily fit four or five people. Kane started the water, and steam quickly rose from the bath. At the thought of a bath, and being clean my eyes teared up. Somehow I thought after tonight I might never be clean again, but I was ready to scrub my skin raw to try.

My thoughts were still disjointed, so I didn't protest when Kane began undressing me. It seemed like the most natural thing in the world. There was nothing sexual about the process, but something so achingly tender that the tears finally spilled over.

"Oh Cassie, it will be okay. I will make it okay."

We hadn't spoken until now, and while there was no reason for me to put any stock in Kane's words, I felt instantly better. Kane said it would be okay, so it would be.

He helped me ease down into the tub. The water stung the few cuts and bruises I had on my arms and legs, but it was my face I dreaded trying to clean. I shouldn't have worried though, because Kane grabbed the shampoo bottle and started lathering my hair. By the time he finished washing every inch of me the water was a dirty rust color that I tried not to focus on.

I was starting to feel more myself, but still too exhausted to protest when Kane wrapped me in a towel and deposited me on a massive four poster bed. He mumbled something about cleaning himself up, but I was already drifting to sleep.

I woke slowly. At first everything was normal. I started to remember when I noticed the warm arm encircling my waist. I inhaled and smelled Kane. His sent as familiar to me as my own. I felt the heat of him at my back, and snuggled in close. Happy to have the skin on skin contact. Skin!?

There was my wake up call. I shot up clutching the sheet to my naked chest as everything came rushing back. The tremors started, and I took a few deep breaths.

"Cassie, Cassie, its okay. I promise you're safe," Kane's hand had found its way to my back and was rubbing slow circles, but I wasn't comforted.

"I need clothes."

I couldn't stand to be naked right now. I was too vulnerable after last night. Almost as if she had been waiting, Ellise strolled in carrying an armful of clothes, my clothes I saw with joy.

"I had someone stop by your apartment to pick up some of your things. It's not safe for you to be there right now."

Kane politely turned his head as I wrapped myself in the sheet and took the clothes to the bathroom. I used to make fun of all those girls in movies who would wrap themselves up in the linen, but right now this thin sheet felt like a suit or armor.

I shut and locked the bathroom door behind me, and slumped to the floor. Hyperventilation was a strong possibility at this point. I wanted to cry, to release some of the pressure behind my eyes and in my chest, but the tears wouldn't come. I'm not sure how long I sat leaned against the counter on the cool bathroom floor staring vacantly ahead, but eventually I knew I needed to stand up and take stock of injuries.

I rose slowly, but not as stiffly as I was expecting. I waited a beat before looking into the mirror. I dreaded seeing a bruised face looking back at me, something I thought I had escaped. When I finally looked up though, I gasped.

My face was bruised sure, but no where near the level it should have been. My split lip had completely healed, and the bruises on my cheeks had faded to pale green. I prodded the skin tenderly, amazed at the lack of pain.

I washed my face and pulled on the clothes Ellise had brought me, a pair of jeans, bra and panties and an old band t-shirt I hadn't worn in years. I wasn't sure how much time had passed, but I knew I couldn't hide in the bathroom all day, as much as I wanted to.

With a deep breath I flung open the door. Kane was sitting where I had left him, but he was dressed.

"We need to talk."

We said it at the same time. Kane's face lit with a smirk, but I just frowned. This was going to be a very unpleasant conversation.